Seattle City Light, a department of the City of Seattle, is one of the nation's largest municipally owned utilities in terms of the number of customers served. Over the years we have worked very hard to keep Seattle's electricity affordable, reliable, and environmentally sound. Today, City Light is a recognized national leader in energy efficiency and environmental stewardship.
Seattle City Light's Transmission & Distribution Division is looking for a few Warehousers to join the team. Warehousers, under continuing supervision, receive, store and issue a variety of equipment, materials, and supplies in a warehouse or storage area. Other duties include: updating automated inventory system; preparing forms for replenishing stock; or, under direction of a lead worker or supervisor, ordering equipment, materials and supplies. These positions will report to the Warehouser Supervisor.
- Receives requisitions and issues stock; provides over-the-counter service or packages and ships stock to requestor; itemizes requisitioned stock on work order, prices the items and charges to appropriate accounts. May sell parts over the counter to customers, maintaining daily cash sales receipts.
- Receives incoming stock, checking and counting items received against invoices, packing slips or bills of lading; inspects the materials for quality and damage; documents receipt; stores stock and loads and unloads stock shipments.
- Assists in maintaining and updating computerized inventory system and in taking inventory counts. Inputs stock received and issued. Maintains manual inventory records.
- Performs routine recordkeeping and related clerical duties, such as: data entry and maintenance of files and records.
- Assists in ordering materials from pre-approved vendors or prepares purchase requisitions according to department or City Purchasing Procedures, fills out forms to re-order stock and, as directed, locates and orders non-stock items.
- Under direction of a Senior or Chief Warehouser may assist in training new or other staff on warehouser tasks.
- Keeps storage area or warehouse neat and orderly to maintain a safe work environment; re-arranges storage space.
- Receives containers or materials containing potentially hazardous substances, identifies materials and prepares for disposal.
- Salvages used parts and materials; reclaims usable parts and stockpiles saleable or recyclable materials.
- Drives a pick-up truck, van, or other vehicles to deliver and pick up materials, supplies or parts or in support of other warehouse activities.
- Operates a variety of warehouse equipment and machinery including forklift, pallet jack, barrel-dolly, overhead crane, wire-coiling machines, truck scales, etc.
- Performs other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
Education/Experience: Requires a minimum of six months warehousing experience or related clerical experience (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Required to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Required to lift up-to 50 pounds.
- Some positions require handling or working with materials containing toxic/hazardous substances.
- Some positions require working outdoors in all types of weather.
- Some positions require working evenings.
- Requires current Washington State driver's license.
- Some positions require a current Washington State Forklift Safety and Operations Certification.
- Other pertinent licenses, certifications and/or requirements may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignments.
- May also require appropriate crane certification as required by law.
- Multiple years combined warehouse experience working with a variety of internal and external teams.
- Worked in large utility warehouse, major governmental agency, manufacturing environment with highly complex inventory.
- Experience, training, and understanding of the handling of hazardous materials, salvage and recycling.
- Multiple years' experience with variety of material handling equipment including forklifts, powered pallet jacks, power tools and hydraulic pumps.
- Extensive experience utilizing software applications including Microsoft Office and an inventory system with daily data entry requirements.
- Knowledge of transaction documentation and proper filing/storing requirements.
- Experience in using stock catalogs used to identify parts and supplies.
- Understanding and experience providing customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Proven experience interacting with the public sector.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice .
The full salary range for this position is $28.66 - $30.97 per hour.
It is preferred that you please submit the following with your online application:
- A cover letter in which you clearly describe how your knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities prepare you for the job responsibilities and qualifications outlined in the job announcement
- A current resume of your educational and professional work experience.
Who May Apply : This position is open to all candidates that meet the qualifications. Seattle City Light values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Seattle City Light encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences.
Job offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process, including the completion of a background check. The background check will involve a criminal history check, which includes conviction and arrest records in compliance with the Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance , SMC 14.17 and the City of Seattle Personnel Rule 10.3 . A driving history review may be conducted in compliance with SMC 4.79.020 . Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
Want to know more about Seattle City Light? Check out our web page: http://www.seattle.gov/light/ .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/12/2023 4:00 PM Pacific