VMware Systems Engineer (ITP-B, BU)
Seattle Information Technology (ITD) is seeking candidates for our VMware Systems Engineer (Information Technology Professional - B, BU) opening within Security & Infrastructure Division.
As a city, Seattle is known as a dynamic leader in technology, innovation, and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice, among other things, making our city what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization's workforce plays a meaningful role in making this possible.
Seattle IT is a trusted partner that provides secure, reliable, and compliant technologies, enabling the City of Seattle to deliver equitable and responsive services to the residents of Seattle. This purpose statement is a simple declaration of who we are and why we do our work. It is intended to be a guide that helps us to not lose sight of why we perform everyday tasks or to invest effort to solve difficult problems. It emphasizes that our existence as a department is to support our city partners. It reminds us that we are part of a larger organization that collectively is working towards improving the lives of the residents of our city. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise, offering many dynamic career opportunities. We hope you'll join us!
This position is a member of the Virtual Infrastructure team who provide virtualization services for on-premise and cloud-based solutions, develops the methodologies for delivering and managing compute environments at scale, and handles all aspects of the VMware-based virtualization infrastructure that is the foundation for the citywide hosting service. This position reports to the Platform Technologies manager.
To be successful in this role, you will have a solid technical background, attention to detail, and have excellent problem-solving and communication skills. You should be passionate about architecting and delivering innovative IT solutions for customers such as utilities, public safety, and general government. You should have a dedication to driving continual improvement in the delivery and manageability of computer environments, with a focus on automation and efficiencies to continually improve Seattle IT's ability to deliver hosting services at scale.
More of what you will be doing:
- Provide day-to-day management, administration, and troubleshooting of VMware infrastructure and related technologies, including planning and managing capacity, security and reliability testing, and patching of infrastructure systems.
- Contribute high-level virtualization engineering services for a wide array of Microsoft technologies related to the delivery of hosting services.
- Provide technical support for the Systems Operations team as needed.
- Participate in high visibility projects impacting both external and internal customers.
- Consult with customers and peers regarding architecture, design, hardware, application performance, and security, and translate those requirements to technical solutions designs.
- Continually improve Windows Server VM delivery, quality, and manageability.
- Coordinate with peer teams to include other OS-related components in deployments in an optimized way (e.g. patching, end-point protection, monitoring, group policies).
- Partner with compliance teams to ensure standards for CJIS, PCI, HIPAA, and NERC environments are implemented and deployed as expected. Act as liaison for audit activities.
- Develop and maintain documentation on standards, configurations, and solutions as needed.
- Track service requests and see them to completion per service level expectations.
- Perform duties commensurate with the IT Professional B job classification.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications except where specifically noted.
- Minimum of 3 years industry experience managing VMware-based virtualization infrastructure on recent technologies.
- Minimum of 6 years demonstrated experience architecting, installing, configuring, and administering Linux and/or Windows Server systems.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, install, manage, secure, and troubleshoot virtualization infrastructure and services, including virtual machines (VMs) and physical hardware.
- Demonstrated experience applying non-production environments to perform installation, risk analysis, modification, security hardening, and validation of solutions.
- Demonstrated experience creating operational documentation for VMware environments.
- Demonstrated experience installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting Intel-based hardware and software.
- Demonstrated experience implementing enterprise security practices and tools.
- Demonstrated experience delivering virtualized environments at enterprise scale.
- Familiarity with guest OSes (Linux, Windows) and virtual appliances.
- Demonstrated experience with VMWare/vCenter administration.
- Experience with discrete platforms and hyperconverged platforms (e.g. Nutanix, vxRail).
- Working knowledge of enterprise storage platforms (SAN, NAS) and protocols (NFS, Fiber Channel, iSCSI, etc.).
- Must complete NERC certification and Seattle City Light background check.
- Must pass CJIS background check.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science/Technology, Computer Engineering, or closely-related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Certifications such as VMware Certified Professional (VCP5-DCV) or VMware Certified Advanced Professional (VCAP5-DCV).
- Experience architecting, installing, configuring, and administering Windows Server systems (typically 3+ years).
- Experience and knowledge in VMware Aria (vRealize) products including Automation and Orchestrator creating templates, publishing to the catalog, creating and configuring Orchestrator actions and workflows, configurations/integration with external systems/3rd party tools such as Infoblox.
- Experience as Subject Matter Expert for some or all of the following:
- Administration of Windows and/or Linux Server operating system technology in an enterprise environment
- Microsoft Technologies: Active Directory, account management, permissions/roles, GPO management, clustering, file services (NTFS, shares, CIFS, SMB), patching tools (WSUS, SCCM)
- Networking: TCP/IP, firewalls, load balancers, security, DNS
- Experience setting up and managing Web Services (IIS, FTP, SFTP, etc.)
- Experience with solutions design based on established standards.
- Experience with backup solutions, monitoring, anti-virus, and load balancing at an enterprise scale.
- Experience with cloud services (e.g. IaaS, storage, services, vendor management).
- Experience with containerization and orchestration. (Docker, Kubernetes, Rancher, etc.)
- Knowledge/familiarity with the ITIL framework and methodologies, particularly organizational change processes.
- Position will require occasional work during non-business hours.
- Position will be required to participate in rotational on-call schedule.
- Occasional travel to offsite facilities and remote locations may be necessary.
- Position is eligible for overtime or compensatory time for hours worked over 40 in a work week.
- The full salary range for this position is $45.44 - $68.20 per hour. The salary range for this role has been identified as $60.00 to $64.00 per hour.
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Use your cover letter to discuss why you want to do this work and how you meet the qualifications for the position. Your resume should summarize the talent, experience, knowledge, and skills you bring to this work. Apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/
If you have any questions, please contact Julie Hugill at Julie.Hugill@seattle.gov .
Why work at the City of Seattle ?
The City of Seattle recognizes every City employee must play a role in ending institutional and structural racism. Our culture is the result of our behavior, our personal commitments, and the ways that we courageously share our views and encourage others to do the same. To cultivate an antiracist culture, we seek employees who will engage in the Race and Social Justice Initiative by working to dismantle racist policies and procedures, unlearn the way things have always been done, and provide equitable processes and services.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans.
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation): This position offers the flexibility of a hybrid work schedule. Currently, hybrid telework schedules have a minimum requirement of two days onsite per week. Individual schedules will be based on operational needs and agreement between the employee and their supervisor.
This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided with an opportunity to explain or correct background information. Background investigation will include Seattle Police Department criminal history check that includes fingerprinting and NERC screening requirements.
Who may apply: This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values different viewpoints and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The City encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience.
NOTE: This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 77. For information explore Local 77's website .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 11/28/2023 4:00 PM Pacific