"This position is a Sunset Position and has budget approval through 2026, with the option of an extension to 2028. The extension of budget is based upon the Departments request to extend the position and the approval by City Council to continue to fund the position."
Vision: Seattle is a thriving and equitable community powered by dependable transportation.
Mission: To deliver a transportation system that provides safe and affordable access to places and opportunities.
The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) is a nationally recognized municipal transportation agency at the leading edge of multi-modal transportation. In our quickly growing city, accessibility, safety, affordability, and reliability - are top of mind for us every day! Our core values drive our work toward creating an equitable, sustainable, and vibrant city for all. SDOT's core responsibilities include maintenance and operations of the city's transportation right-of-way, the expansion of the city's bicycle and pedestrian network, care of over 240 bridges, permitting use of public spaces and enhancing access to the regional transit system. With approximately 1,100 dedicated staff, SDOT maintains an operational presence 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in all weather conditions to serve and ensure Seattle's public mobility.
SDOT has an exciting opportunity for a Truck Driver. The Driver will execute specific instructions for the safe operation of heavy construction and maintenance equipment. The position will support Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) work on curb ramp restoration, sidewalk repairs, utility cut restoration, and emergency response around the city. The position involves working across the entire organization, as well as collaborating with staff from other departments within the City. Come help keep Seattle moving!
- Responsible for the safe operation of dump trucks and trailers.
- Operate rubber tire loaders to move materials, load trucks, and supplies when needed.
- This is a working truck driver so you will be assisting operators on dig outs locating utilities, grading, setting up traffic control, flagging, and assisting concrete paving.
- Drives trucks with specialized equipment such as hotbox asphalt trucks, boom trucks, and snow plows; hauls, dumps, or spreads gravel, sand, salt, and other material for street maintenance, repair, and ice control.
- Apply OSHA/WISHA rules, labor, and industries rules, SDOT policy and safety rules, and contract language within a variety of bargaining.
- Drive a variety of trucks requiring a Class "B" CDL.
- Maintains, troubleshoots, and cleans equipment.
- Check oil, water, and tire pressure.
- Wash windows and washes off dirt and grease.
- Drive truck and trailer to and from job sites.
- Document daily activities, inspections, and accomplishments.
- Inspect job assignments for overhead obstructions and hazardous conditions.
- Support department goals in promoting race, diversity, and social justice.
- Ensures safety regulations are observed during the loading, rigging transporting, and unloading of materials.
- Perform thorough inspection of combination truck or tractor/trailers prior to operation to ensure its safe condition; cleans equipment and performs minor repair.
- May be required to act in a lead capacity at job sites where all other activities are secondary to equipment operation.
- Perform other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
- Six months of experience in the operation of a variety of trucks in excess of 10,000 lbs. GVW, or completion of a recognized course in Commercial Driver Training which includes practical driving experience and instruction in mechanical principles and allied rules and regulations (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
- Experience working in a multi-cultural workplace with a diverse customer base.
- Experience driving in snow and ice.
- Experience plowing and salting streets.
- Knowledge of the Seattle metropolitan area.
- Knowledge of the Right of Way Restoration Rules (ROWRR)
- Knowledge of the in-street manual
- Understanding of SDOT Safety Policy
- Current Washington State Commercial Class B driver's license with the Air Brake restriction removed.
- Ability to obtain a flagger card within 6 months of employment.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather.
- Exposed to dust, dirt, high noise levels, diesel and gas fumes, and engine exhaust.
- Moderate physical exertion required to operate equipment.
- Standing, bending, stooping, and lifting in excess of 50 pounds sometimes required.
- May be required to be on call 24 hours/day to respond to emergencies.
- Required to spend long periods of time driving trucks often in heavy traffic and adverse weather conditions.
- Drive in both urban street and rural environment, including unimproved roads.
Your application will not be reviewed if these items are missing or incomplete.
Applications are reviewed after the posting closes. Qualified candidates must submit the following to be considered: Completed NEOGOV online application.Supplemental questionnaire responses Offers of employment are contingent on verification of information provided by the applicant as part of the application process, including a potential background check.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The full salary range for this position is $34.08 - $35.46 hourly
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/12/2023 4:00 PM Pacific