Temporary Principal Accountant
The Seattle Police Department (SPD) is seeking a non-benefit eligible temporary Principal Accountant for the Fiscal Unit to provide a full range of accounting support for the Department. This position will guide the Accounts Payable (AP) responsibilities and advise on the incidental tasked performed by five Accounting Technicians in the unit and reports to the Fiscal & Accounting Manager. This is expected to be an eleven-month temporary assignment from date of hire.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Guides and advises on the work of Accounting Tech II-BU and Accounting Tech III-BU staff to monitor work products, provide instruction on tasks, and ensure proper work methods.
- Oversee procurement and compliance functions, fund accounting, accounts payable, and fixed assets.
- Financial reporting to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including department managers, City departments, auditors, and the public for public disclosures based on the Public Record Act.
- Responsible for accounting for costs in multiple funds including general fund, Federal Drug Forfeiture fund, State Forfeiture fund, Gifts and Donation fund.
- Responsible for providing reports and advisement to many division managers who do not have access or knowledge of financial data available.
- Review and post vouchers, purchase requisitions, departmental Purchase Orders, and General Ledger journal entries in PeopleSoft 9.2 Financial Management System as needed.
- Audit, monitor, and review invoices for coding, payment authorization, accuracy, and completeness.
- Interpret and apply departmental and City policies, rules, procedures, and guidelines related to Travel/Training, Accounts Payable, and Purchasing.
- Provide backup to other professional staff when away from the office for long-term leave.
- Review business processes for A/P staff; make recommendation for business process improvements; implement approved recommendations and implement business process improvements currently identified for implementation.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration or related field (requires satisfactory completion of at least 24 semester hours or 36 quarter credit units in accounting with no substitution allowed) and/or professional certification as a CPA, plus four years professional experience in accounting, auditing, financial analysis, or related work with one year experience equivalent to a Senior Accountant (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft 9.2 Financial Management System and the City's financial policies and procedures.
- Knowledge and experience with the City's financial systems or similar financial management systems.
- Experience with public finance and cost accounting.
- Extensive experience with the City's PeopleSoft Financial Management System.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must pass a Seattle Police Department background investigation.
- This position is an onsite position. Individual schedules will be based on agreement between the employee and their supervisor.
About the Department:
The Seattle Police Department is comprised of approximately 1,600 dedicated law enforcement professionals all committed to creating and fostering a work environment that is collaborative, innovative and leading the way in law enforcement principles and practices. Ours is a culture that encourages top performers to adhere to a standard of excellence in the identification of and resolution to complex challenges. At SPD we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals and pledge ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse traditions, heritages, and experiences.
Additional Information: (NON-BENEFIT ELIGBLE)
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/temporary-benefits-eligible-employees .
The full salary range for this position is $45.68 - $47.34 per hour. New employees begin at Step 1 of the pay progression, which is $45.68 hourly. This is a Civil Service position eligible for overtime.
How to Apply:
Apply online at www.seattle.gov/jobs /. Job Number #: 2023-01706. If you have any questions, please contact Naidene Warren Sakamoto at email@example.com .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/26/2023 4:00 PM Pacific