Temp Seasonal – Tree Worker
JOIN THE SPOKANE CITY PARKS AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT TODAY!
Urban Forestry is looking for temp-seasonal
to be a part of our winning team, contributing to the beauty of our city.
Performs skilled and technical field work in Urban Forestry. Tasks include assisting in the planting, pruning, care, maintenance, and removal of park, public, and street trees. Duties may also include inspections of permitted commercial tree work and updating the City tree inventory database. Physical demands vary from medium to heavy work and may require significant exertion dependent on tasks assigned. Duties are performed under all weather conditions and terrain.
Employee works under general supervision utilizing standard procedures. Work is repetitive in nature, and once learned, is expected to be performed with less supervision. Follows established procedures and refers unusual or unfamiliar situations to the supervisor.
Typical hours are Monday - Friday, 6:30am-4:00pm. Part-time and flexible hours and days canbe accommodated.
EXAMPLES OF JOB FUNCTIONS
The following Responsibilities and Requirements are functions the individual who holds or desires the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation.
- Tending, watering, mulching, planting, and transplanting trees and shrubs.
- Maintenance of nursery operations.
- Pruning trees and shrubs.
- Removal of trees and shrubs.
- Assists in the diagnosis and treatment of tree and shrub diseases and pests.
- Assists in site evaluations and tree inspections related to permitted commercial tree work.
- Updates tree inventory database related to public and street tree work.
- Provides general support to Urban Forestry staff, projects, and events.
- Performs all work in compliance with current policies, specifications, standards of practice and standards of care established by the City of Spokane, the International Society of Arboriculture, and the American National Standards Institute.
REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
- Two years of high school, trade school, or equivalent,
- AND one year of work experience in arboriculture, horticulture, urban forestry, or closely related field.
- One year of college education specific to arboriculture, horticulture, or urban forestry may substitute for one year of work experience.
- Understand and follow oral and/or written instructions.
- Communicate effectively with tact.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, other staff members and the general public.
- Perform tasks requiring moderate levels of physical labor, potentially under unfavorable weather conditions.
- Safely operate equipment around the public and co-workers.
- Stand for up to four hours consecutively with one 15-minute break, to read standard print and text displayed on a computer monitor, to operate a computer and other office equipment, and to exchange information by email, telephone and/or in person.
- Lift and carry, push and/or pull, or move items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Perform related work as required.
Respectful, courteous, and friendly to customers, citizens, other City employees, and City leadership. Effectively communicates with customers, citizens, other City employees, peers and managers. Positively represents the City, maintaining the trust City residents have placed in each of us. Values integrity; demonstrates honest and ethical behaviors. Values diversity; demonstrates equitable and inclusive behaviors. Values public service; demonstrates a growth mindset, collaborative approach, consistency, and teamwork.
Closing Date/Time: 2023-11-19