Sr. Accountant – (Area Agency on Aging) AAA Fiscal Compliance Specialist
Human Services, a department of the City of Seattle, funds and operates programs and services that meet the basic needs of the most vulnerable people our community - families and individuals with low incomes, children, domestic violence and sexual assault victims, homeless people, seniors, and persons with disabilities. We invest in programs that help people gain independence and success.
The ADS AAA (Area Agency on Aging) Fiscal Compliance Specialist will serve as the lead for fiscal compliance for all ADS Contracts, including represent the Medicaid AAA contracting work. Acts as a subject matter expert in the ADS Department on fiscal compliance principles. Assists G&C program specialists with on-site annual contract monitoring by leading and conducting fiscal review of selected ADS contracts in accordance with Federal uniform guidance, state guidelines, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and HSD/ADS standards.
- Performs annual fiscal Risk Assessments for all AAA/ADS Providers (City contracts and DSHS/Medicaid contracts (approx. 170 contracts).
- Coordinates and performs unit rate cost analysis for contracting for the Medicaid funded services. Coordinates and plans with program specialists to collect data on service costs. Recommends unit costs for contracted service areas.
- Acts as a subject matter expert in the ADS Department on fiscal compliance principles. Assists ADS Contracts Unit team members with on-site annual contract monitoring by leading and conducting fiscal review of selected ADS contracts in accordance with Federal uniform guidance, state guidelines, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and HSD/ADS standards.
- Develops and implements annual fiscal monitoring schedule in partnership with ADS Contracts Unit team members.
- Oversees program specialists in monitoring implementation of fiscal corrective actions and provision of technical assistance as appropriate.
- Completes written reporting of fiscal monitoring visit within 90 days.
- Coordinates and completes site visits of ADS fiscal monitoring with HSD audit team as appropriate.
- Conducts risk assessments of agencies to determine the level of fiscal monitoring required.
- Coordinates the recovery of overpayments with ADS finance analysts, including leading accounting record reviews and ensuring compliance with appropriate federal/state and GAAP standards.
- Provide professional consultation to G&C program specialists and ADS finance analysts by performing complex program related financial projections and cost analysis.
- Reconciles sub-contracted agencies' financial data (budgets and invoices) for compliance with federal, state, local regulations including accounting standards and contractual obligations. Makes recommendations to ensure agencies meet fiscal standards.
- Participates in new Medicaid provider applications process by reviewing financial audits, financial statement reports and policies. Provides complex variance analysis' and summary evaluations to provide feedback on new provider financial health.
- Assists the Budget & Contracts Manager in interpreting and understanding fiscal and accounting policies, procedures, operations, and controls.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field (requires satisfactory completion of at least 24 semester hours or 36 quarter credit units in accounting with no substitution allowed) plus three years professional experience in general or governmental accounting (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
- 2-3-year experience in an accounting, fiscal analysis, audits or fiscal compliance.
- Strong background in using financial systems, spreadsheets and data, and financial reporting.
- Experience working with Medicaid-funded and Older Americans Act (OAA) aging supports.
- Experience developing contracts and monitoring for compliance with fiscal and programmatic standards.
- Experience implementing, analyzing, and/or ensuring compliance with complex State/Federal laws, regulations, policies, and procedures in the provision of services to vulnerable populations.
- Experience in providing technical assistance to strengthen compliance with contract terms or service delivery.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with peers, external partners, and ADS leadership in person and virtually.
- Understanding of race & social justice principles and impacts of systemic racism and oppression on communities served by Aging and Disability Services division and Human Services Department.
- Demonstrated proficiency with standard computer software including Microsoft Office (i.e. Outlook, Word, and Excel).
The full salary range for this position is: $40.66 - $47.37 per hour.
The person hired is expected to be in the office a minimum of twice a week. The office hours are 8:00-5:00 pm.
Qualified candidates must submit the following to be considered:
Completed NEOGOV online application. Current résumé indicating relevant experience and education. Cover letter stating how you meet the qualifications. Supplemental questionnaire responses
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and covered family-members/most employees-plans
This job/class description, describes the general nature of the work performed, representative duties as well as the typical qualifications needed for acceptable performance. It is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, work steps, and skills required of the job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/12/2023 4:00 PM Pacific