Senior Structural Engineer (Senior Civil Engineer)
Vision: Seattle is a thriving and equitable community powered by dependable transportation.
Mission: To deliver a transportation system that provides safe and affordable access to places and opportunities.
The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) is a nationally recognized municipal transportation agency at the leading edge of multi-modal transportation. In our quickly growing city, accessibility, safety, affordability, and reliability - are top of mind for us every day! Our core values drive our work toward creating an equitable, sustainable, and vibrant city for all. SDOT's core responsibilities include maintenance and operations of the city's transportation right-of-way, the expansion of the city's bicycle and pedestrian network, care of over 240 bridges, permitting use of public spaces and enhancing access to the regional transit system. With approximately 1,100 dedicated staff, SDOT maintains an operational presence 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in all weather conditions to serve and ensure Seattle's public mobility.
SDOT has an exciting opportunity for an experienced and collaborative Senior Structural Engineer (Senior Civil Engineer) onourStructural Engineering Services Group in the Capital Projects Division. This key team member will lead projects such as bridge programs capital deliveries, bridge load rating, multi-corridor transit programs, and complex inter-agency projects. Strong candidates will bring their extensive knowledge of the principles, practices, and methodologies of structural analysis, design, and construction engineering to take SDOT's projects to the next level. Come work where you can see your team's impact in the City on a daily basis!
- Performs structural analysis and design using commercial structural software such as CSIBridge and WSDOT in-house Bridgeworks software.
- Prepares Plans, Specifications, and Estimates (PS&E) and project manuals.
- Reviews team's structural plans, specifications, and calculations of designs and ensures the quality of work is consistent with SDOT standards.
- Serves as Project Engineer, coordinates technical design efforts of multiple-discipline internal and consultant teams for Capital Projects delivery, including resolving technical issues, supports supervisors and project managers for preparation of permit applications and accompanying plans/specification packages, and supports efforts to keep projects within scope, schedule, and budget and maintaining a good quality product.
- Provides design support during the construction phase of projects, including reviews of shop drawings and RFIs, attending weekly construction meetings, site visits, and inspections. This includes researching existing structural conditions and performing field investigations and inspections to support a project from design to completion.
- Performs bridge load rating analysis and prepares load rating reports in accordance with SDOT and FHWA requirements.
- Serves as Department technical expert for areas of bridge and structural engineering, coordinating with inter and intra-departmental, administrative, engineering, and construction personnel.
- Support department goals in promoting diversity and social justice in keeping the City's Race and Social Justice Initiative.
- Bachelor's Degree in civil engineering or civil engineering technology, or related field.
- Five (5) years of experience with civil engineering.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Washington.
- Current Washington State driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
OR: An equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the position duties.
Though not requirements, strong candidates will have some of the following experience or are able to describe comparable experience:
- 5-7 years of structural engineering experience that includes fieldwork and construction for bridge projects with familiarity of shop drawings reviews, RFI response, and construction contracts.
- Experience with the development of PS&E bid packages delivered in Design-Bid-Build or other alternative delivery methods (DB, GCCM) in urban environments such as for City of Seattle or federally funded projects.
- Long-span bridge design experience.
- Geotechnical engineering experience for seismic design.
- Structural seismic design experience.
- Familiarity with City of Seattle, WSDOT, FHWA, and AASHTO Bridge and Roadway Structure design standards.
- Experience with software systems including BRIDG, CSIBridge, Lpile, Bluebeam, Adobe Professional, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- State of Washington bridge inspector experience.
- Strong oral and written skills.
- Strong organizational, time management, and customer service skills.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
- Work is typically performed in a hybrid work environment in which a minimum of 2 days of the work is completed in a City office, and 3 days of the work is completed remotely in a regular 40-hour work week.
Your application will not be reviewed if these items are missing or incomplete.
Applications are reviewed after the posting closes. Qualified candidates must submit the following to be considered: Completed NEOGOV online application.Supplemental questionnaire responses.Cover letter describing how your skills and experience align with the stated job responsibilities and qualifications.Current résumé indicating relevant experience and education.
Offers of employment are contingent on verification of information provided by the applicant as part of the application process, including a potential background check.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The full salary range for this position is $57.96 - $67.49 hourly.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 12/5/2023 4:00 PM Pacific