Senior Network Engineer (ITP-B, BU)
The City of Seattle's Information Technology (IT) Data Network Team is looking for an accomplished, enthusiastic Senior Network Operations Engineer to join a diverse team of information technology professionals that operate and maintain the City's core data network and internet infrastructure.
Seattle is known as a dynamic leader in technology, innovation, and the environment. As an employer, we are leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice among other things, making our city what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization's workforce plays a meaningful role in making this possible.
Seattle IT is a trusted partner that provides secure, reliable, and compliant technologies enabling the City of Seattle to deliver equitable and responsive services to the residents of Seattle. This purpose statement is a simple declaration of who we are and why we do our work. It is intended to be a guide that helps us to not lose sight of why we perform everyday tasks or to invest effort to tackle difficult problems. It emphasizes that our existence as a department is to support our city partners. It reminds us that we are part of a larger organization that collectively is working towards improving the lives of the residents of our city. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. We hope you'll join us!
The Data Network Services team supports network equipment in a multi-vendor, enterprise environment including Cisco switches and routers; Cisco Nexus datacenter switching fabric; F5 load balancers; Checkpoint, Palo Alto, and Juniper firewalls; Juniper VPN appliances; Infoblox DNS/DHCP/NTP infrastructure, and enterprise 802.11 infrastructure. The team is responsible to maintain highly reliable, secure network and Internet connectivity for more than 14,000 end users across City government.
The successful candidate will work on a variety of installation, configuration, and upgrade activities; investigate, diagnose, and resolve various hardware, software, and infrastructure issues; and provide Tier III support for less senior engineers and installers. The position works on high severity network incidents, requiring excellent troubleshooting, communication, and crisis management skills, and acts as a key point of contact for peers, other internal groups, and vendors. This person needs to make resourceful use of a complex and evolving array of industry standard and internally developed tools to ensure the network delivers consistently high reliability and performance.
- Design, implement, and maintain production network infrastructure (both on premise and cloud-based).
- Configure, administer, and troubleshoot firewalls, routing, switching, load balancing, VPN's, and DNS/DHCP/NTP.
- Configure and administer network devices in compliance with departmental SLA's, industry standards, regulatory requirements (PCI, CJIS, etc.), and City standards for data security, reliability, monitoring/alerting, disaster recovery, and business continuity.
- Generate and maintain user documentation including network designs, addressing schemes, and version management.
- Oversee and implement planned upgrade and maintenance work, minimizing impact to services.
- Follow defined communication procedures for maintenance outages and incident response.
- Use knowledge of network management and network analysis tools to resolve service impacting data network and internet issues.
- Escalate system problems to appropriate internal/external resources.
- Act as internally facing point of contact to escalate technical issues and communicate network status.
- Act as externally facing point of contact to facilitate handling of design solutions and problem reports with network peers and vendors.
- Accurately and completely document problems and solutions on case notes and bug reports.
- Provide technical guidance to less senior engineers/technicians.
- Participate in the rotating 24/7 on-call, carrying a cell phone.
- Other duties, at commensurate IT Professional level, will be assigned on an as-needed basis.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications.
- Associate's Degree or higher in computer science, information technology, or a closely related field. (Equivalent demonstrable experience in the information technology field may be substituted for the education requirement.)
- 5+ years of experience with network design, implementation, and s upport in a medium IP network of routers, switches, and wireless infrastructure.
To be successful in this position you must demonstrate the following:
- Experience administering Checkpoint, Palo Alto, and/or other Next Generation firewalls.
- Experience designing and managing DMZ architecture including internet perimeter.
- Experience administering F5 load balancers.
- Experience designing, implementing, and maintaining production network infrastructure (both on premise and cloud-based).
- Experience with Wireshark, WildPackets, or comparable protocol analyzer to troubleshoot upper layers of the OSI model like session and application.
- Strong network analysis and troubleshooting skills.
- Proven commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity within the organization.
Thorough/Advanced Knowledge of:
- Protocols & technologies - BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, 802.1x, AAA, DNS, DHCP, NTP, 802.1d/STP, HSRP, RSTP, 802.1Q, TCP/IP (internals & flow control), and SSH.
- Cisco network solutions (routers, switches, telephony, ISE, and wireless).
- Cisco design model and technology with an emphasis on enterprise class/chassis-based products.
- Work outside of normal business hours, as projects require.
- Effectively manage time and priorities with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Provide excellent customer services skills.
- Communicate (oral and written) appropriately to the position.
- Produce sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Work proficiently with Microsoft Visio, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint.
- Valid Washington State Driver's License or evidence of equivalent mobility.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation.
Preferred Qualifications - to be highly successful in the position you should possess or demonstrate:
- Active Cisco CCNP or CCDP certification.
- Active Cisco CCNA certification
- Active Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) certification.
- Working knowledge of DMZ architecture.
- Experience configuring and supporting Cisco ISE.
- Excellent script writing skills.
- Experience with 802.1x authentication.
- Knowledge of PCI, CJIS, and/or NERC compliance requirements.
- Experience with information technology operations within the government/public sector, ideally including public safety, utilities, transportation, and other general government agencies.
- Experience working within an ITIL Service Management framework.
- The full salary range for this position is $45.44 - $68.20 per hour.
- The salary for this individual role has been identified as $60.00 - $65.00 per hour.
Why work at the City of Seattle?
The City of Seattle recognizes every City employee must play a role in ending institutional and structural racism. Our culture is the result of our behavior, our personal commitments, and the ways that we courageously share our views and encourage others to do the same. To cultivate an antiracist culture, we seek employees who will engage in the Race and Social Justice Initiative by working to dismantle racist policies and procedures, unlearn the way things have always been done, and provide equitable processes and services.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans .
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation):
This position offers the flexibility of a hybrid work schedule. At this time, hybrid telework schedules have a minimum requirement of two days onsite per week. Individual schedules will be based on operational needs and agreement between the employee and their supervisor.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 77. For information explore Local 77's website .
This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
Who may apply:
This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values different view points and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The City encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience.
Application Process: For optimal consideration, we encourage you to include a cover letter and resume with your application. We encourage you to use your cover letter to discuss why you want to do this work and how you meet the qualifications for the position. Your resume should summarize the talent, experience, knowledge, and skills you bring to this work. Apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/
If you have any questions, please contact Julie Hugill @ firstname.lastname@example.org .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov