Senior Meter Reader
Seattle City Light, a department of the City of Seattle, is one of the nation's largest municipally owned utilities in terms of the number of customers served. Over the years we have worked very hard to keep Seattle's electricity affordable, reliable, and environmentally sound. Today, City Light is a recognized national leader in energy efficiency and environmental stewardship.
City Light's Customer Operations Division is seeking a Senior Meter Reader for the Meter Reading group. In this position, you will utilize your experience with and knowledge of meter reading techniques, typical meter locations and standard routes in order to resolve meter reading problems, and/or to provide lead direction to less experienced Meter Readers. You must be able to read and record data rapidly and accurately, make simple calculations, maintain accurate records and prepare routine reports. You'll also use your ability to work courteously and effectively with the general public in order to resolve meter reading problems and respond to complaints. This position reports to the Meter Reader Manager.
Here is more about what you'll be doing:
- Perform more technically demanding meter reading work.
- Research and resolve problems involving meter location or access, or unusual meter readings.
- May serve as lead worker for Meter Readers, assigning them routes, dispatching, processing their work, and training those less experienced.
- Assist the supervisor with payroll, preparation of meter reading reports or with other routine paperwork related to meter reading matters, including the use of an automated meter information (AMI) system.
- Conduct non-communicating AMI reads and also resolve meter tracker issues.
- Locates and reads residential commercial and industrial meters, including difficult or hard-to-find meters not read by Meter Readers.
- Make written reports on defective, leaking, missing, and unsafe meters, and assist with preparation of routine meter reading reports.
- Contact City Light customers to resolve access problems or complaints concerning meter readings and consumption problems.
- Investigate Meter Condition-Customer Engineering (this is the FA that is created when the meter reader can't find the meter, or the read is obscured)
- Read Meter Reading route when needed.
- Check Reads
- Escrow Read Field Request
- Move Field Read
- Validation Read
- Write and update instruction records.
Required Qualifications: In addition to the skills and experience mentioned below, a successful applicant will have experience that reflects a commitment to creating fair and equitable outcomes and has:
Requires a minimum of one year of experience as a Meter Reader and no specific type or amount of education (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Required to stand, walk, crawl, climb, or bend for extended periods of time.
- Required to work outdoors in all types of weather, and on all kinds of terrain.
- Required to work in potentially hazardous environments, such as near high voltage equipment, construction areas, dark basements or industrial compounds.
- Occasionally exposed to dog attacks, abusive customers, insects, and/or private property that may pose a safety hazard
License, Certification and Other Requirements:
- Current State of Washington driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility
Desired Qualifications - You will be successful if you have the following experience, skills, and abilities:
- Two or more years' Meter Reading experience
- Prior Senior Meter Reading experience or lead/crew chief capacity work over entry level Meter Readers
- Experience reading/following a map and navigating throughout the city or route delivery
- Experience with Itron operating software system, including report analysis
- Ability to use various operating systems and software that pertain to the essential functions of Meter Reading
- Two or more years of customer relations/service experience.
- Experience training personnel in meter reading technologies.
- Knowledge and experience in ITRON operation systems, including report and operation analysis.
- Knowledge and ability to use various operating systems and software that pertain to the essential functions of the Meter Reading unit.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice .
The full salary range for this position is $31.02to $36.36 per hour.
Please submit the following with your online application:
- A cover letter in which you clearly describe how your knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities prepare you for the job responsibilities and qualifications outlined in the job announcement
- A current resume of your educational and professional work experience.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all candidates that meet the qualifications. Seattle City Light values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Seattle City Light encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences.
Job offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process, including the completion of a background check. The background check will involve a criminal history check, which includes conviction and arrest records in compliance with the Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance , SMC 14.17 and the City of Seattle Personnel Rule 10.3 . A driving history review may be conducted in compliance with SMC 4.79.020 . Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans .
Want to know more about Seattle City Light? Check out our web page: https://www.seattle.gov/city-light/about-us/careers.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/26/2023 4:00 PM Pacific