Senior Finance Analyst
Seattle Public Utilities is seeking a two dynamic Senior Finance Analysts to join its Finance Division. As a Senior Finance Analyst, you will play a pivotal role in SPU's budgetary and financial operations by driving high-quality forecasts, reports, analytics and supporting strategic plans. As part of a team, these positions will work closely with department executives, division directors, division budget liaisons and key operational managers and staff in developing, coordinating, preparation, and monitoring of division budgets. You will report to the SPU Budget Manager.
About Seattle Public Utilities (SPU): Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a Community Centered Utility whose mission is to foster healthy people, environment, and economy by partnering with our community to equitably manage water and waste resources for today and future generations. We deliver high quality, vital services, across four major lines of business: providing water, solid waste, drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses. In addition, SPU provides drinking water for 1.5 million regional customers in Seattle and other municipalities. Our customers depend on us to deliver high quality, reliable, and cost-conscious utility services and to achieve the highest benefits possible for every investment we make.
For more information about Seattle Public Utilities (SPU), please visit:
- SPU Workplace Expectations (Download PDF reader)
- Strategic Business Plan
SPU commits to Our City Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity. We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities.
Why join us?
We know work isn't only about what you do it's also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a work life balance, including:
- Hybrid work schedule opportunities
- Family-friendly and multicultural work environment
- Generous benefits package
- Free public transportation options
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities
- Perform analytical work including expenditure monitoring and forecasting, variance analysis, resource utilization and program staffing.
- Assist and advise management on budget and financial issues.
- Assist with interdepartmental financial agreements and fund transfers.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports.
- Respond to inquiries and questions from City Council, Department of Finance, department directors, and other internal customers.
- Assist with analyzing and preparing data for department wide issues related to internal overhead and fund allocation costs.
- Work closely with other groups in the division to allow adherence to SPU and government required financial policies.
- Prepare and implement budgetary policies and procedures.
- Provide Excel and SPU internal financial systems assistance and training.
- Perform advanced budget, financial management and analysis for SPU and specific Branches/Divisions as part of a team of budget analysts.
- Work closely with department branch executives, division directors, budget liaisons, and key operational managers and staff in developing and coordinating preparation of division budgets.
- Perform analytical work including expenditure monitoring and forecasting, variance analysis, resource utilization and program staffing; prepare quarterly financial reports for Branch and Department management.
- Assist and advise management on budget and financial issues; respond to inquiries and questions from internal customers; analyze, research and inquire about interdepartmental costs and charges.
- Assist with interdepartmental financial agreements and fund transfers.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports for Department management, Department of Finance, and City Council; respond to inquiries and questions from City Council, Department of Finance, Department Director, Line of Business specifiers and other internal customers.
- Assist with analyzing and preparing data for department-wide issues related to internal overhead and fund allocation costs.
- Work in close coordination with other groups in Finance including Rates, Cost Accounting, and General Ledger to allow adherence to SPU and government required financial policies.
- Provide training as needed on Microsoft Excel, as well as internal SPU financial systems to individuals and groups; prepare and implement budgetary policies and procedures; prepare and implement department-wide budgetary processes.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Experience: Three (3) years professional experience in accounting, budget management, financial analysis, or related work (or a combination of education, training, experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Accounting, or related field OR two (2) additional years of qualifying experience.
Experience and Education Equivalency: Combinations of appropriate education, training, certification, and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability to the minimum education and experience requirements.
Special Conditions: This position will work in an office environment with both office and frontline staff.
- Experienced finance professional with knowledge and experience with PeopleSoft financial management system and IBM TM1 Cognos.
- The ability to analyze, present and communicate financial information clearly to non-financial managers and staff.
- Experience with financial reporting, database queries and MS Excel (specifically pivot tables).
- Providing timely and responsive customer service under tight deadlines.
- Experience contributing to a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Public sector work experience.
How to Apply: In addition to fully completing the online application, please attach your resume and cover letter. Your cover letter should address your knowledge and experience related to the position.
Workplace Environment: This position allows for the flexibility of a hybrid work schedule. Employees will be required to come into the office twice a week. Individual schedules will be agreed upon by the employee and their supervisor.
The full salary range for this position is $45.68 - $53.20 per hour.
Benefits: The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
Background: This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
Who may apply: The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience. This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
If you have any questions, please contact Charles Gilmore at firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about Seattle Public Utilities at our web page www.seattle.gov/util/ .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/12/2023 4:00 PM Pacific