Risk Analyst (Power Analyst)
Seattle City Light, a department of the City of Seattle, is one of the nation's largest municipally owned utilities in terms of the number of customers served. Over the years we have worked very hard to keep Seattle's electricity affordable, reliable, and environmentally sound. Today, City Light is a recognized national leader in energy efficiency and environmental stewardship.
As a Risk Analyst you will play a critical role in supporting City Light's wholesale power market trading operations. Responsibilities include in-depth evaluation of wholesale transactions, along with validation and detailed analysis of prices and other market data, and maintenance of processes to ensure the timely and accurate settlement of market transactions with various counterparties.
Additionally, you will support vital functions in risk control and reporting, providing analytical insights that aid in identifying, understanding, and mitigating risks inherent in our portfolio. You will assist with system upgrades to our Energy Trading and Risk Management (ETRM) platform and conduct related user-acceptance testing.
This role offers a varied portfolio of responsibilities, providing opportunities for growth and an excellent opportunity for applying your skills, educational background, and experience. Risk Analysts contribute to diverse facets of risk management, demonstrating flexibility and a broad understanding of our risk landscape.
Strong attention to detail, ability to manage and prioritize tasks, and effective interpersonal and communication skills will be necessary for this role.
This position will initially report to the Director of Risk Oversight and is an essential contributor to our strategic projects.
HERE IS MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Contribute to the wholesale market transaction settlements process by performing analysis, data validation, and profit & loss reporting.
- Support the utility's participation in regional wholesale markets (e.g. California ISO) by conducting analytics including reviewing and detecting inconsistencies between planned, tagged and metered energy data. And flagging unusual values.
- Provide thorough wholesale market transactions analysis, including validation and reconciliation of settlements, invoices, and relevant details.
- Create reports for trading, risk, accounting, market operations, and other relevant workgroups.
- Proactively engage with various internal business units to verify transaction details related to power, transmissions, and ancillaries.
- Assist in the monthly settlements process of bilateral transactions with counterparties.
- Support data collection and reporting for regulatory filings as well as internal and external audits.
- Update and revise risk policies, procedures, and desk manuals pertaining to settlements.
- Perform other assigned responsibilities, duties, and projects as needed.
Required Qualifications: In addition to the skills and experience mentioned below, a successful applicant will have experience that reflects a commitment to creating fair and equitable outcomes and has:
- A bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics, Finance, Risk Management, Business, Information Management, Economics, Statistics, Computer Science, or another quantitative/scientific field is required.
- A minimum of three years' experience in an analytical role or in energy settlements, or equivalent experience.
- Combinations of education, training, and experience in similar industries will be considered on an individual basis for equivalence and competency.
Desired Qualifications - You will be successful if you have the following experience, skills, and abilities:
- Expertise and/or familiarity in one or more areas:
- Proficiency in R, Python, @Risk, SQL, VBA, Tableau, MS Office suite of products
- Three to five years' experience in energy industry risk management function including any RTO/ISO settlements experience is highly desired.
- A graduate-level degree in Finance, Economics, Statistics, Risk Management, Applied Mathematics, Data Science, Computer Science, or another quantitative/scientific field is preferred.
- Exceptional time management skills with a keen attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Superior analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Highly motivated, self-directed, results-driven, and a propensity to take ownership of assigned tasks.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to present information effectively.
The full salary range for this position is $40.06to $53.74 per hour.
Please submit the following with your online application:
- A cover letter in which you clearly describe how your knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities prepare you for the job responsibilities and qualifications outlined in the job announcement.
- A current resume of your educational and professional work experience.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all candidates that meet the qualifications. Seattle City Light values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Seattle City Light encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences.
Job offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process, including the completion of a background check. The background check will involve a criminal history check, which includes conviction and arrest records in compliance with the Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance , SMC 14.17 and the City of Seattle Personnel Rule 10.3 . A driving history review may be conducted in compliance with SMC 4.79.020 . Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans .
Want to know more about Seattle City Light? Check out our web page: Careers at Seattle City Light - City Light | seattle.gov
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: Continuous