Real Property Manager (Mgr.2)
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is seeking a Real Property Manager (Mgr. 2) to provide leadership and oversight for all aspects of real property management. The manager will supervise a team of Real Property Services staff, lead all aspects of the acquisition, sale, and leasing of property, and advise on all real property matters.
The manager will work with the lines of Business (LOB) to manage the purchase and sale of properties, facilitate temporary construction easements and rights of entry, grant permits for the use of SPU properties, lead an encroachment program, and prepare and decipher property legal descriptions. This is a meaningful role in ensuring the efficient and effective management of SPU's real property assets. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of real property principles and practices, as well as experience in managing a team and advising on complex real property matters.
About Seattle Public Utilities: Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a Community Centered Utility whose mission is to foster healthy people, environment, and economy by partnering with our community to equitably manage water and waste resources for today and future generations. We deliver high quality, vital services, across four major lines of business: providing water, solid waste, drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses. In addition, SPU provides drinking water for 1.5 million regional customers in Seattle and other municipalities. Our customers depend on us to deliver high quality, reliable, and cost-conscious utility services and to achieve the highest benefits possible for every investment we make.
For more information about Seattle Public Utilities (SPU), please visit:
- SPU Workplace Expectations (Download PDF reader)
- Strategic Business Plan
- Shape Our Water Plan
SPU commits to Our City Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity. We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities.
Why join us?
We know work isn't only about what you do, it's also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a work life balance, including:
- Hybrid work schedule opportunities
- Family-friendly and multicultural work environment
- Generous benefits package
- Free public transportation options
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities
- Supervise and manage the daily operations of the Real Property Services team.
- Respond to and assign customer requests for Real Property Services, prioritize work, and ensure timely completion of deliverables for the Development Services Office, Capital Projects, general initiatives, external agencies, and other City departments.
- Track, analyze, and research property rights for SPU lines of business. Review and monitor the preparation of real property documents.
- Provide leadership for interdepartmental initiatives involving cross-functional teams and represent the unit at internal and external meetings.
- Review property correspondence, descriptions, agreements, appraisals, and related legislation.
- Manage and develop the Encroachment program.
- Conduct monthly team meetings.
- Monitor and allocate the Real Property budget and provide Real Property labor estimates for Capital Projects.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Experience: Five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in real property acquisition, right-of-way work, property management, appraisals, and including one (1) year supervisory/lead experience.
Education: A Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration or related field OR two (2) additional years of related experience.
License: Valid Washington State driver's license.
- Experience with real property software systems, such as GIS and CAD
- Experience with public procurement and contracting
- Experience with project management
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation): This position allows for the flexibility of a hybrid work schedule. Employees will be required to come into the office twice a week. Individual schedules will be agreed upon by the employee and their supervisor.
The full salary range for this position is $44.71 - $67.09 per hour.
Benefits: The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at : https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
Applicants must successfully pass a background check, which will be conducted in accordance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be given a chance to explain or correct background information and provide verifiable information of good conduct and rehabilitation.
Who may apply: The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience. This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Questions? Contact Erika Monroe at Erika.Monroe@seattle.gov
Learn more about Seattle Public Utilities at our web page www.seattle.gov/util/ .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 12/5/2023 4:00 PM Pacific