Park Maintenance Aide
About Seattle Parks and Recreation:
Seattle Parks and Recreation (SPR) is a national leader and innovator in the services and programs we provide to our residents who enjoy our public spaces such as parks, community centers, specialty gardens and swimming pools. Our mission is to equip employees and the public for well-being as we support healthy people, a thriving environment and vibrant community. We provide safe and accessible spaces for residents and visitors to work, recreate, rejuvenate and enhance quality of life and wellness for children, teenagers, adults and seniors. Delivering excellent customer service to all is a core value.
Equity & Inclusion:
Seattle Parks and Recreation commits to advancing equity and social justice in our department and in every neighborhood by growing a dynamic and diverse workforce, developing strong investments, growth opportunities and beneficial partner strategies as we acknowledge and pledge to close disparities created by historical practices which often hindered workforce development, environmental justice, access to quality open spaces, programs, and facilities. #OneSeattle
The Parks Maintenance Aide position resides with Seattle Parks and Recreation's (SPR) largest division, Parks and Environment. The Parks Maintenance Aide will assist ground maintenance crews with routine park cleanup activities. In this role, you will perform a wide variety of tasks and various levels of manual labor.
The Parks and Environment division places a very strong emphasis on providing excellent customer service to the public, clients and staff as well as helping to ensure public safety and enjoyment while they are at SPR facilities and parks.
- Work with common hand and small manual tools.
- Exchange and provide information with coworkers and the public.
- Pick up litter and debris from park grounds and dispose in designated collection containers.
- Empty garbage cans and replaces liners.
- Weed various flower and shrub beds, using gardening tools.
- Irrigate lawns, trees and park landscapes by connecting hose lengths to hose bibs and irrigation sprinklers. Water plants using hose with nozzle or wand attachments.
- Pick up brush and debris and provide general cleaning of assigned areas.
- Perform other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
- Ability to perform the most basic and limited manual labor, to follow instructions, have a good physical condition, and the ability to work with hand tools is required.
You will be successful if you have the following experience, skills, and abilities:
- Experience providing customer service and working with the general public.
- Experience using a computer to input data and retrieve messages.
Special Working Conditions:
- Able to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
- Required to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- May be required to work nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- May occasionally be required to lift objects weighing more than 50 pounds.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice .
The full salary range for this position is $ 1 8.69 - $18.69 per hour .
Please submit the following with your online application:
- A cover letter in which you clearly describe how your knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities prepare you for the job responsibilities and qualifications outlined in the job announcement.
- A current resume of your educational and professional work experience.
Who May Apply : This position is open to all candidates that meet the qualifications. Seattle Parks and Recreation values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Seattle Parks and Recreation encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ IA+ , people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences.
Job offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process , including the completion of a background check. The background check will involve a criminal history check, which includes conviction and arrest records in compliance with the Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance , SMC 14.17 and the City of Seattle Personnel Rule 10.3 . A driving history review may be conducted in compliance with SMC 4.79.020 . Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation time , 12 paid holida ys , and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans .
Want to know more about Parks and Recreation ? Check out our web page: Seattle Parks and Recreation - Parks | seattle.gov
SPR's Core Competencies are:
- Accountability & Action: Holding yourself accountable for achieving goals, completing tasks, and delivering quality work. Demonstrating thoughtful initiative in actions and decision-making, and promoting high quality standards.
- Equity and Inclusion: Supporting the goals of the Race and Social Justice Initiative and the City's commitment to workforce equity.
- Communication: Sharing and exchanging information and ideas with people in a variety of ways to help them understand and remember the information.
- Service: An ongoing commitment to base decisions and actions on the needs and priorities of the City.
- Teamwork: Participating as an engaged member of a team to achieve group goals. Effectively working with internal and external people to complete tasks and achieve work group goals.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/26/2023 4:00 PM Pacific