The City of Tacoma invites you to join our team as an Office Administrator for Tacoma Safety.
The Office Administrator will be under the direction of the Enterprise Safety Manager, Workers Compensation Division. As the primary point of contact for the office, the Office Administrator assists in program direction by managing the administrative functions of the department and by relieving the Director and the Enterprise Safety Managers of Field Operations, Safety Compliance, and Workers Compensation divisions of administrative duties. Specifically, this position will be responsible for assisting in the development of Safety policies, programs, procedures, and training. This position will be responsible for the department's budget, contract management, CDL program, Workers' Compensation, and Safety's SharePoint Site. Prepare and deliver correspondence to the Executive Leadership Team including Directors, Superintendents, Tacoma City Council, Tacoma Public Utility Board, and the Safety professionals across the city. This is a senior-level position, working independently, to assist in program direction; formulating and implementing program policy and procedures, and supervising assigned staff.
The Office Administrator position may be distinguished from administrative classes by the increased delegation of authority to act for management in substantive areas and supervision of support staff. Regular exercise of responsibility, requiring a high level of technical proficiency, decision-making, and judgment on complex, confidential, or sensitive issues.
The successful candidate will have a strong focus on exceptional service to both external and internal customers. Must possess the ability to exercise good judgment and professionalism in a variety of situations with strong written and verbal communication, administrative and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. This position is required to work independently on projects from conception to completion and must be able to work under pressure to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion. Must be proficient with computers and have an expert working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite products, Ariba, Canva, SAP, SharePoint, SmartSheet, and the FMCSA Portal.
At times, this position will be required to work outside of the normal M-F, 8-5:00 schedule.
Tacoma Safety is seeking a team member who understands the advantages of a team environment and is flexible, organized, responsive, resourceful, confident and excited about joining the team. If this is you, please apply!
- Management Support; serve as the senior administrative staff person and coordinate administrative functions within the department. This includes but is not limited to:
- Assisting senior staff in preparing complex reports and presentations.
- Drafting correspondence
- Overseeing the maintenance and the web presence of the SharePoint site.
- Oversees and manages all aspects of meetings, committee planning, attendance, minutes, and required follow-up actions and correspondence.
- Informs Safety Director and Enterprise Safety Managers of events/items requiring review or action; provides background briefing information orally or in written format.
- Attends meetings and conferences at the direction of the Director and may act in a representative capacity for Tacoma Safety to outside agencies and the public.
- Contract Management; research, coordinate, monitor, provide analysis, and manage all of the vendor contracts, including, drafting and preparing requests for proposals, bids and interviews.
- Human Resource Support; manages the hiring process, recruitment strategy, application review and scheduling of interviews. Facilitating the onboarding of new employees.
- Data Analysis and Reporting; Conducts research, gathers information, and develops reports as requested by senior leadership. Oversees the KPI program dashboard and updates as required.
- Financial Management; manage all of the payroll functions within the department. Assists in the preparation and tracking of budgets, procurement requests, budget proposals, and other assigned financial activities.
- Performs other work as required.
High School Diploma or GED/Associate's Degree
5 years of office administration and/or program support experience including 1 year of prior journey or advanced level experience
*Equivalency: 1 year of experience = 1 year of education
Knowledge & Skills
Knowledge & Skills
- Work collaboratively and build partnerships with leadership and employees in other work areas to meet shared objectives in serving our community.
- Relate openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
- Ensure dependability and hold self and others accountable to meet commitments.
Problem Solving and Technical Knowledge:
- Use intelligence, common sense, hard work, and tenacity to solve particularly difficult or complicated challenges.
- Operate assigned software in support of business unit goals.
- Explore options and come up with creative solutions to customer issues.
Integrity and Initiative:
- Conduct all assignments in a professional and timely manner.
- Work with confidentiality and discretion.
- Model effective group behavior such as listening, discussing, negotiating, encouraging and motivating.
- Remain current by reading and interpreting applicable ordinances, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Proactively anticipate the needs of others with solution-oriented mindset.
- Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Deals comfortably with the uncertainty of change.
- Effectively handles risk.
- Deals constructively with problems that do not have clear solutions or outcomes
- Microsoft Office Suite Products (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Ariba, SAP, SharePoint and Canva.
***Studies have shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet all listed qualifications. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one from a less traditional background. If you have transferable skills and experience, please tell us about them.***
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
This recruitment is being managed by Kye Merritt. If you would like to be notified of similar opportunities or stay connected with things going on at Tacoma Public Utilities and the City of Tacoma, connect with her on LinkedIn.
City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At the City of Tacoma, we're on a mission to make our workforce as diverse and inclusive as the community we serve. We're committed to eliminating racial and other disparities, and we actively seek out candidates from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures. Join our team at the City of Tacoma and help us build a more vibrant, inclusive, and equitable community for all.
- Competitive wages.
- Paid time off. This position includes a generous Personal Time Off (PTO) leave program, as well as paid holidays.
- Excellent health benefits. We have a highly competitive and generous benefits package for our employees and family with very low monthly premiums.
- Investment in our employee's health. We have invested in a robust employee wellness program that offers incentives and discounts on our already low health insurance premiums.
- Outstanding retirement plan. This position is included in the Tacoma Employee's Retirement System , a defined benefits plan.
- Flexible hybrid work schedule options (some mandatory onsite attendance required as needed to meet the business objectives of the Safety Office)
The City of Tacoma
The City of Tacoma is nestled along the shores of Commencement Bay in Washington State and offers many community parks, miles of beautiful waterfront, hiking & biking trails, golf courses, museums, and a world-class zoo with an aquarium. Tacoma also serves as a gateway to some of the most magnificent natural wonders in the world, such as Puget Sound, Mount Rainier National Park, and the Olympic Peninsula. Combined with the vitality of downtown, Tacoma has made it one of the most sought-after housing markets in the country. To see a few of the great things Tacoma has to offer, view this YouTube Video!
Interested individuals should apply online. Please attach a detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position.
Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check.
Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, questions regarding this job announcement, or if you are experiencing complications while applying, please contact the Human Resources office at (253) 591.5400 by 4:00 pm of the closing date of the job announcement. This will allow us to assist you before the job announcement closes.
The City of Tacoma provides excellent medical, dental and vision plans for the whole family; paid holidays and paid leave; participation in the Tacoma Public Employees' Retirement System (alternate plan for Police/Fire); continuing education and advancement opportunities and a growing variety of City-sponsored health and wellness opportunities and incentives.
Medical Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Dental Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Vision Coverage: For eligible employees and their eligible dependents.
Paid Leave: City employees are entitled to received paid holidays, sick/vacation leave or personal time off (PTO), depending upon union affiliation and appointment type.
Insurance Plans: Employees are covered by a long-term disability plan. Short-term and expanded long-term disability insurance plans are also available to employees. The State Industrial Insurance Act also covers employees.
Deferred Compensation: Income can be set aside on a pretax basis and invested for supplementation of normal retirement income.
Retirement: All employees of the City, except members of the Police and Fire services, Tacoma Rail and certain project employees, are included in the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System. Information on the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System can be found at www.cityoftacoma.org or by calling (253) 502-8200.
Other Employment Information
Direct Deposit: Employees are paid on a bi-weekly schedule by direct deposit.
Salary Increases: Based on satisfactory job performance, the City provides for a regular progression of salary increases for most classifications according to the salary schedule.
Union Affiliation: Many job classifications are covered by union security provisions which require union membership, dues, or payment of equivalent service fees.
Note: The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
Closing Date/Time: 11/7/2023 5:00 PM Pacific