About Seattle Cente r:
Seattle Center is the region's premier civic, arts and family gathering place in the core of our city and region, home to more than 30 arts, cultural, and entertainment organizations, family attractions, and tourist amenities.? Our mission is to create exceptional events, experiences, and environments that delight and inspire the human spirit to build stronger communities. To support this work, Seattle Center currently employs 220 full-time employees and hundreds of intermittent workers. In 2023 Seattle Center is expanding its role to provide operations, maintenance and public safety services for Seattle's new Waterfront Park, a series of new public spaces on Seattle's downtown waterfront between Pioneer Square and the Seattle Aquarium. Seattle Center will bring its deep experience successfully managing public space to the waterfront.? As a department of the City of Seattle, Seattle Center contributes to the quality of life for Seattle residents--and the region's economy and image as its top visitor destination.
About the Position:
Seattle Center is seeking a qualified Maintenance Laborer to lead, under supervision, multiple crews performing grounds maintenance tasks and event set ups and support on the Seattle Center campus. This working lead position works as part of a team to provide regular and ongoing care and maintenance for a large 74 acre campus . This position is part of a work unit that requires flexibility in shift schedule in order to accommodate events. The person in this position may work weekends, nights or early morning shifts on an as-needed basis.
- Lead the work of Intermittent Laborers, Laborers and Utility Laborers; performing grounds maintenance tasks and event support in the field.
- Work with the Landscape Supervisor and Grounds Maintenance Lead Worker (GMLW) to plan and implement the work of subordinate staff.
- Monitor work progress to ensure that staff meets established standards and deadlines.
- Provide subordinates with on-the-job training on the safe and proper use of grounds maintenance tools, equipment and procedures.
- Adhere to and enforce all safety rules and procedures in the field.
- Lead and direct a crew of Laborers in the installation of Terraplas turf protection materials.
- Assist GMLW with vehicle and equipment inspections, trouble shooting and initiating repairs.
- Assist trades' teams in the execution of their work as assigned.
- Operate sweeper truck, 'D' truck, high lifts, pick-up, forklift, and other small-motorized vehicles as well as small powered maintenance equipment.
- Perform other related duties of comparable type and level as assigned.
- One year of experience performing general laboring/manual work involving the construction, installation, repair, and maintenance of public facilities (Combinations of education, training and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability).
- Willing to work any shift with multiple start times during any work week.
- Ability to use small hand tools and power tools.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, possess safety oriented attitude, good oral and written communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a diverse workforce and environment.
- Ability to read and understand written instructions, Safety Data Sheets and Event Service Orders.
- Ability to give clear oral and written instructions and document worker performance and conduct issues.
License, Certification, and Other Requirements:
- Possess a valid Washington State driver license at time of hire.
- Possess or achieve certification as a forklift operator within 90 days of appointment.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Ability to lift 50 pounds frequently and more occasionally.
- Ability to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time and work outdoors in all types of weather.
You will be successful in this role if you have:
- Ability to work effectively within a diverse workforce and be productive in a team setting or alone after being given oral or written instructions.
- Excellent customer service skills, ability to remain calm and polite under pressure.
- Ability to organize work, solve medium to complex problems and manage competing and inflexible deadlines.
- Familiarity of Event Service Orders, maps and drawings of event set-ups in order to place furniture and equipment required for events such as concerts, sporting events and festivals.
- Knowledge of and experience in all aspects of cleaning buildings, grounds and facilities.
The full salary for this position is $30.09 - $30.09 per hour.
How to Apply
Applications are reviewed after the posting closes. You must submit the following items to be considered for this position no later than 4:00 pm Pacific Time on Wednesday, July 5, 2023.
Completed NEOGOV online application. Supplemental questionnaire responses. Cover letter describing how your skills and experience align with the stated job responsibilities and qualifications. ? Current résumé indicating relevant experience and education.
Your application may be rejected as incomplete if you do not include the relevant information in the application. Cover letters and/or resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed application. Applications and/or Supplemental Questionnaires that state "see my resume" or "see my personnel file" are considered incomplete and will not be accepted.
Driving Record - Selected candidates will be required to submit a Driver's Abstract (at your own expense) that demonstrates a good driving record.
Pre-Employment Physical - Successful candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment physical.
Why work at the City ?
The City of Seattle recognizes every City employee must play a role in ending institutional and structural racism. Our culture is the result of our behavior, our personal commitments, and the ways that we courageously share our perspectives and encourage others to do the same. To cultivate an antiracist culture, we seek employees who will engage in dismantling racist policies and procedures, unlearn the way things have always been done, and create and provide equitable processes and services. Seattle Office of Civil Rights )
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and covered family-members/most employees-plans
For helpful tips on the application process and recruitment process: Working at the City - Human Resources | seattle.gov
If you need any accommodations in the application or testing process, please call the contact number listed on the job announcement.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 10/3/2023 4:00 PM Pacific