Vision: Seattle is a thriving and equitable community powered by dependable transportation.
Mission: To deliver a transportation system that provides safe and affordable access to places and opportunities.
The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) is a nationally recognized municipal transportation agency at the leading edge of multi-modal transportation. In our quickly growing city, accessibility, safety, affordability, and reliability are top of mind for us every day! Our core values drive our work toward creating an equitable, sustainable, and vibrant city for all. SDOT's core responsibilities include maintenance and operations of the city's transportation right-of-way, the expansion of the city's bicycle and pedestrian network, permitting use of public spaces and enhancing access to the regional transit system. With approximately 1,200 dedicated staff, SDOT maintains an operational presence 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in all weather conditions to serve and ensure Seattle's public mobility.
The work is performed according to specific supervisory instruction or established procedures, and the employees often perform tasks as a part of a crew. The employees will operate assigned vehicles and equipment.
This position will work repairing potholes, performing vegetation maintenance, emergency response to winter weather, windstorms and civil unrest.
Must have knowledge of and use hand and power tools, operate various types of machinery and equipment, and employ proper techniques for leading a crew. Personal contacts are intra-and inter-departmental, with the public and outside contractors to provide information and coordinate work activities.
- May supervise the work of subordinate employees by planning, training, assisting, monitoring and evaluating the work.
- Assists as a part of a crew working in the street right of way repairing potholes, gravel patching edge of road ways, as well as vegetation maintenance on stairways and other public right of way.
- May plan, or assist in planning for materials, equipment, and staffing required for work assignments or areas.
- Drives pickup trucks and other motorized vehicles or equipment in connection with work activities.
- May lead and/or perform office relocations and delivery, storage and disposition of materials, forms, furniture and equipment.
- Performs other building services work including motor pool operations, and event set ups, change-overs, and support.
- Maintains routine records and reports. Performs other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned and lower level duties of Utility Laborer and Laborer.
One year of experience performing general laboring/manual work involving the construction, installation, repair, and maintenance of public facilities
OR combinations of education, training and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability.
- Flagging Card Familiar with City of Seattle Streets
- Experience working in traffic
- Experience working with hot asphalt
- Experience with weed eaters, blowers, hedgers and other hand tools
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- May be required to work nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
- Frequently required to lift objects up to 50 pounds.
- May occasionally be required to lift objects weighing more than 50 pounds. During inclement weather may be on 12 hour shifts.
License, Certification and Other Requirements
- Washington State driver's license is required.
Your application will not be reviewed if these items are missing or incomplete.
Applications are reviewed after the posting closes. Qualified candidates must submit the following to be considered:
Completed NEOGOV online application. Offers of employment are contingent on verification of information provided by the applicant as part of the application process, including a potential background check.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The full salary range for this position is $30.09 - $30.09 per hour.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/5/2023 4:00 PM Pacific