Lifeguard – Stadium
Tacoma Public Schools
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
Season dates: November 13, 2023 - February 1, 2024
Salary Level: 15.74/hour
Additional information: This position supports a male student at practice and meets. Practice is Monday through Friday, 2:30 - 4:30pm.
This position is not eligible for benefits.
Examples Of Duties
This position, under the direction of the building principal and certificated staff, monitors and ensures safety of swimmers in aquatic facilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Provides supervision to swimmers to prevent accidents; restricts swimmers to the boundary lines of the swimming area; patrols and keeps watch over pool.
2. Explains and enforces rules and guidelines of aquatic facility to ensure the safety of swimmers.
3. Gives aid to swimmers in distress: performs emergency first aid and CPR as required according to established guidelines.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
1. Attends district and building meetings as needed.
2. Updates knowledge by attending clinics, workshops, and certification renewals.
4. Performs related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school; or equivalent and some experience in supervising youth swimming activities; or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work and that meets federal and state requirements.
First Aid Certificate, CPR card and AED are required.
Completion of American Red Cross or YMCA Lifeguard Training Certification
Fingerprints and successful WSP and FBI background clearance/sexual misconduct clearance.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be evaluated by the Human Resources department for comparability.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of aquatic safety rules and guidelines.
Skill in responsibility and mental alertness.
Skill in obtaining, clarifying, and exchanging information.
Skill in communicating in a professional and courteous manner
Ability to assess situations quickly to determine safety of swimmers.
Ability to work cooperatively with building staff.
Ability to conduct oneself in an ethical and exemplary manner at all times.
Ability to establish and maintain effective work and student relationships with a variety of people in a
multi-cultural, diverse socio-economic setting.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. District administration has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the primary functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Tacoma Public Schools does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination:
- Civil Rights Coordinator: Renee Trueblood, 253-571-1252, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Title IX Coordinator, Elementary: Christa Erolin, 253-571-1318, email@example.com
- Title IX Coordinator, Secondary: Wayne Greer, 253-571-1191, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 504 Coordinator, Elementary: Jennifer Herbold, 253-571-1096, email@example.com
- 504 Coordinator, Secondary: Megan Nelson, 253-571-1003, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing address: P.O. Box 1357, Tacoma, WA 98401-1357.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous