Performs semi-skilled manual work in various departments which requires some previous experience and special knowledge acquired on the job.
EXAMPLES OF JOB FUNCTIONS
- Work performed varies with department to which assigned.
- May supervise small labor crew. Participate in loading, unloading and similar operations. Assists in setting up and dismantling playground equipment.
- Receives calls, investigates and dispatches night crews to remedy routine complaints, reports major complaints to supervisor. Checks excavations for compliance with safety regulations.
- Acts as helper or assigned as apprentice to Craft Specialist and skilled trade workers in maintenance and repair of assigned buildings. May assist in minor maintenance of an assigned heating plant.
- Performs various tasks in support of solid waste disposal operations including, but not limited to, attending household hazardous waste and recycling facility, removing refrigerants from appliances, and directing the public.
- Operates compressors, jack hammers, cement mixers, brush chippers, chain saws, post-hole diggers, sewer augers and other similar power-driven equipment related to the job.
- Drives various trucks, operates rubber-wheeled tractors with attachments, front-end loaders and fork lifts. May be required to operate equipment of the next higher class on occasion. Assists in snow removal operations. Mounts sander boxes and tanks. Performs minor maintenance on street cleaning equipment.
- Services assigned equipment. Makes minor field repairs. Reports major defects. Prepares necessary reports.
- Assists in installation, repair and disconnection of water mains, hydrants and valves. Operates pipe and leak locating equipment or performs other operations peculiar to the assigned job.
- Assists in maintenance and construction of sanitary sewer and storm water infrastructure.
- Supervises crew engaged in installation, repair and maintenance of traffic signs and markers. Operates lane and crosswalk painting machines, and fabricates traffic signs using silk screens.
- Performs related work as required.
Combinations of education and experience that are equivalent to the following minimum qualifications are acceptable.
Open Entry Requirements:
(Open-entry applicants must meet all requirements when they apply.)
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: Two years of laboring experience.
- License: Possession of a valid driver's license. Must possess a Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with air brake endorsement.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and pass the examination for this position to be eligible for hire. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit a City of Spokane employment application online by 4:00 p.m. on the filing cut-off date.
Upon request, at time of application, City of Spokane will provide alternative accessible tests to individuals with disabilities that impair manual, sensory or speaking skills needed to take the test, unless the test is intended to measure those skills.
The examination will consist of a multiple-choice test, with weights assigned as follows:
- Multiple-choice Test 100%
This is an online examination and will require a computer. If you do not have access to a computer, please notify Civil Service so that one may be provided.
Multiple-choice examination links with instructions will be emailed prior to 12:00 a.m. Pacific Time on the start date and will expire at 11:59 p.m. on the due date as listed below. Keep in mind that the test link will be emailed from City of Spokane (email@example.com).
- Applicants who apply and meet the minimum qualifications between Monday, November 6, 2023, and Monday, November 27, 2023, will test Thursday, November 30, 2023, through Tuesday, December 5, 2023.
NOTE: You may begin the exam at any time during the test period; however, once you begin, you will have 1.5 hours to complete the examination. You may take the exam only once during the open recruitment period.
The examination may include such subjects as:
- Applied Technology
- Interpersonal Skills & Teamwork
- Safety & Occupational Hazards
- Technical Competence
- Vehicle Operations
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity within our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, familial status, genetic information, veteran/military status or disability status. As a Fair Chance employer, City of Spokane does not conduct initial background screening for non-public safety positions.
Closing Date/Time: 2023-11-27