Laboratory System Administrator
An online application including response to the supplemental questionnaire must be fully completed for consideration. Please DO NOT attach resumes and cover letters, as they will not be considered in the review of candidate's qualifications .
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is seeking an experienced Laboratory System Administrator (ITP-B) to provide moderate to complex professional support in the management, operation, and maintenance of SPU's Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). The successful candidate plays a critical role in tracking regulatory compliance samples (collection & analysis) and providing electronic data reporting to the Washington State Department of Health on a weekly basis.
About this opportunity: This position manages, operates and maintains the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) by assuring quality assurance and providing moderate to complex professional support in the analysis, evaluation, design, and overall operational oversight of SPU's Starlims LIMS program.
About Seattle Public Utilities (SPU): Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a Community Centered Utility whose mission is to foster healthy people, environment, and economy by partnering with our community to equitably manage water and waste resources for today and future generations. We deliver high quality, vital services, across four major lines of business: providing water, solid waste, drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses. In addition, SPU provides drinking water for 1.5 million regional customers in Seattle and other municipalities. Our customers depend on us to deliver high quality, reliable, and cost-conscious utility services and to achieve the highest benefits possible for every investment we make.
For more information about Seattle Public Utilities (SPU), please visit:
- SPU Workplace Expectations
- Strategic Business Plan
SPU commits to Our City Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity. We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities.
Why join us?
We know work isn't only about what you do it's also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a work life balance, including:
- Hybrid work schedule opportunities
- Family-friendly and multicultural work environment
- Generous benefits package
- Free public transportation options
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities
- Develop, configure and maintain systems interfaces (e.g., Crystal Report Developer (CRD), Crystal Server, Mobile LIMS) to other information systems, lab instruments, and other equipment
- Performance system hardware and software upgrades, troubleshoot problems and analyze data.
- Respond to users' requests from users regarding LIMS operations, troubleshooting, and providing solutions to operational problems.
- Other duties will include configuring and programming the LIMS to meet the need of the users, customers (internal and external), and management; ensuring the data integrity and regulatory compliance, and reliability are maintained
- Perform other duties as assigned; for example, troubleshoot issues with mobile LIMS device
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Experience : Five (5) years' experience related to the administration, operation, and maintenance of a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and ancillary/supporting systems related to drinking water utility laboratories.
- Experience developing in complex database system (Oracle preferred);
- Experience with business intelligence support via the production of reports and/or dashboards using an advanced reporting tool, such as Crystal Reports.
Education : Bachelor's degree in chemistry, microbiology, computer science or equivalent OR two (2) additional years of relevant experience
Experience and Education Equivalency: Combinations of appropriate education, training, certification, and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability to the minimum education and experience requirements.
To be successful in this role, a candidate should possess some of the following attributes:
- Experience doing lab work is highly desired
- Experience with the development of customizable LIMS reports (Starlims preferred)
- Knowledge of laboratory operations, methods and quality assurance practices and procedures
- Familiarity with laboratory instrument, data processing and integration
- Application server administration and support; Crystal Server administration desired
- Knowledge of State Laboratory Drinking Water accreditation
- Familiarity with requirements for data analysis, QA/QC and documentation as specified by NELAC, USEPA and WA Dept. of Ecology
- Ability to communicate and work effectively within a multi-cultural workforce serving a diverse customer base.
How to Apply: Please fully complete an online application and supplemental questions.
Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment; however, due to the ongoing pandemic and Covid-19 state and local restrictions, hybrid telework/office/field assignment work will be available consistent with HR guidelines, and as circumstances dictate. We continue to seek guidance from local public health agencies and will proceed accordingly with any necessary changed or needs regarding "workplace location" expectations.
The full salary range for this position is $45.44 - $68.20 per hour.
Benefits: The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
Background: This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
Who may apply: The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience. This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Learn more about Seattle Public Utilities at our web page www.seattle.gov/util/ .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: Continuous