Integrated Security System Network Engineer (ITP-B)
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is seeking an experienced IT professional to serve as an ISS technical lead to be responsible for all aspects of the SPU Security network design and implementation, to maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments including system software and hardware. This position will also be vital to the success of project to upgrade SPU's ISS Security System.
This posting is 'open until filled', however, first consideration will be given to applicants who apply by September 26, 2023.
About Seattle Public Utilities: Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a community-centered utility that delivers vital services to Seattle residents and businesses including drinking water, drainage and wastewater, and garbage/recycling/compost. SPU also provides drinking water for 1.5 million customers in the region. SPU's work includes system maintenance and improvements and keeping Seattle clean. Over 1,400 SPU employees work with our community to provide affordable and equitable stewardship of our water and waste resources for future generations.
For more information about Seattle Public Utilities (SPU), checkout the:
- SPU Website
- SPU Workplace Expectations (Download PDF reader)
- Strategic Business Plan
SPU commits to Our City Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity. We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities.
Why join our team?
We know work isn't only about what you do, it's also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a work life balance, including:
- Family-friendly and multicultural work environment
- Generous benefits package
- Free Orca Pass
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions.
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities.
- Security System Network Architecture and design implementation.
- Monitor network engineering performance and ensure system availability and reliability.
- Configure and install various network devices and services including routers, switches, HIP devices, firewalls, load balancers, 802.X devices, IPSec tunnels, VPN, QoS.
- Perform network maintenance and upgrades, including service packs, patches, hot fixes, and security configurations.
- Work with SPU ISS IT staff on processes for ISS applications, including system setup, account management, file services, network configuration, license management, application hosting and user application support.
- Assist ISS Security System Hardware Engineer with the following: Virtual (vCenter) Switch Management, Datacenter Storage Management, and Physical Infrastructure Management.
- Assist with monitoring and providing critical response to all virtual structure devices.
- Assist with tracking, implementation, and recommendations for the SPU ISS Fiber layout and NetMotion Mobility.
- Coach, train, and mentor Security IT staff.
- Perform disaster recovery operations, data backups, advanced troubleshooting, device security, system updates, and IT policy enforcement.
- Interface with SCADA, Information Technology, ITD Network Operations, ITD Network Security and other functional groups impacted by SPU security.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Experience: Three to five years of network engineer/architect experience including 3-5 years of experience in LAN/WAN/MAN design and implementation, 1-2 years' experience with Palo alto, Cisco ASA Firewalls, and Cisco Nexus Datacenter equipment.
Education: An Associates Degree in Computer Science, Computer Technology, or related Industry Certifications to match time in educational experience. CCNA Routing and Switching certification
Experience and Education Equivalency: Combinations of appropriate education, training, certification, and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability to the minimum education and experience requirements.
- CompTIA A+ Certification
- CompTIA Network + Certification
- Experience working with Paradigm Software Integration with Access Controls.
- A full City of Seattle online application
- Resume & Cover letter describing your skills and experience related to this position
~Candidates submitting an incomplete Application Packages will NOT be considered~
The full salary range for this position is $45.44 - $68.20 per hour.
Work Environment: Most work is performed in an office environment.
At this time, telework is not an option for this position.
Benefits: The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided with an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
Who may apply: The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience. This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: Continuous