Hydroelectric Maintenance Machinist – Long Term Temporary
Seattle City Light, a department of the City of Seattle, is one of the nation's largest municipally owned utilities in terms of the number of customers served. Over the years we have worked very hard to keep Seattle's electricity affordable, reliable, and environmentally sound. Today, City Light is a recognized national leader in energy efficiency and environmental stewardship.
The Generation Operations & Engineering Division is seeking to hire 4 skilled journey-level Long-Term Temporary Machinists to work out of either it's Skagit Hydroelectric generating facility in Newhalem, Washington or it's Boundary Hydroelectric generating facility near Metaline Falls, Washington. The Hydroelectric Maintenance Machinists will support one of the Hydroelectric Projects while conducting preventive maintenance, overhauls, and capital improvement projects of hydro-generators, turbines, and associated machinery located at the hydroelectric facility. This position will report to the Maintenance Machinist Crew Chief.
- Conducts preventive maintenance and overhaul of hydroelectric generators, adjusts and/or inspects hydroelectric generators, turbines, hydroelectric governors or associated auxiliary equipment including shaft alignment, vectors, Babbitt bearings, slug arc adjustment and electronic micrometer readings.
- Diagnoses and repairs malfunctioning powerhouse facility equipment.
- Repairs malfunctioning tools and portable equipment.
- Fabricates and manufactures parts and equipment such as turbine seal rings, bushings, shafts, intake gate chains, wheel guides and thrust bearings.
- Inspects work performed by outside contractors to ensure product specifications and quality.
- Prepare written reports, including activity reports and repair procedures.
- Maintains all overhead cranes and rigging equipment to W.I.S.H.A. standards.
- Functions as a rigger and/or crane operator for moving, installing and transporting heavy machinery.
- Determines raw material needs, calculates and determines dimensions, estimates costs, and project specifications in design and fabrication of parts, tools, or prototypes.
- Strong customer service skills. Ability to work as a team member in a diverse work force.
- Performs other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
Required Qualifications:In addition to the skills and experience mentioned above, a successful applicant will have experience that reflects a commitment to creating fair and equitable outcomes and has:
Requires a minimum of two (2) years previous journey-level machinist experience or four (4) years of machine work experience under the supervision of a journey level machinist (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class.)
Certification/License: Current Washington Driver's License.
Desired Qualifications - You will be successful if you have the following experience, skills, and abilities:
- Completion of a Machinist or Millwright apprenticeship program and experience as a journey-level worker or above for at least two years.
- Advanced machinist skills.
- Ability to interpret blueprints and schematics.
- Experience in fabrication and design of parts, equipment and machinery per National Standards using lathes, mills, radial drill presses, sharpeners, and other machine shop equipment.
- Preparation of written reports, including activity reports and repair procedures.
- Experience with computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS), such as Work and Asset Management System (WAMS).
- Familiar with MS Word, MS Excel, Teams and electronic filing.
- Rigger or crane operator experience for moving, installing and transporting heavy machinery.
- Experience determining raw material needs, calculate, and determine dimensions.
- Knowledge and experience maintaining, repairing and machining hydroelectric generating machinery related components.
- Experience maintaining and repairing overhead cranes Experience servicing and repairing large Babbitt bearings.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment Positive experience, knowledge and use of safe work practices.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
• Required to lift materials in excess of 50 pounds
• Required to work in confined areas
• Required to work at heights
• Required to work above/on water
• Require working around high voltage equipment
• Required to work in all types of weather
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
Please submit the following with your online application:
- A cover letter in which you clearly describe how your knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities prepare you for the job responsibilities and qualifications outlined in the job announcement
- A current resume of your educational and professional work experience.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all candidates that meet the qualifications. Seattle City Light values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Seattle City Light encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences.
Job offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process including the completion of a background check. The background check will involve a criminal history check, which includes conviction and arrest records in compliance with the Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance , SMC 14.17 and the City of Seattle Personnel Rule 10.3 . A driving history review may be conducted in compliance with SMC 4.79.020 . Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
The full salary range for this position is $47.28 - $52.49 per hour.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
Want to know more about Seattle City Light? Check out our web page: Careers at Seattle City Light - City Light | seattle.gov
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: Continuous