Are you a skilled HVAC Technician who takes initiative?
Enjoy troubleshooting and working with diverse types of HVAC equipment?
Are you collaborative and enjoy providing excellent customer service?
If you answered "Yes!" to all of them, please apply to this public servant opportunity and bring your HVAC expertise to the properties maintained by the Facility Operations Division within the Finance and Administrative Services Department. Our HVAC Technicians serve many locations including Seattle City Hall, Seattle Municipal Tower, Fleets Management garages, Seattle City Fire, and more.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple vacancies.
Facilities and Administrative Services (FAS) is the backbone of the City of Seattle and a dynamic organization comprised of eleven divisions and 450+ employees that provides $375 million a year in services to the City through an exciting portfolio of lines of businesses . FAS is a collaborative workplace with collective accountability to promote equity, respect, civility, integrity, inclusiveness and fairness for all employees.
The Facility Operations Division operates and maintains approximately 3 million square feet of City-owned facilities and provides support, maintenance and repair of building systems for the City departments and other users that occupy space in buildings under its jurisdiction.
In this HVAC Technician role, you will:
- Operate, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair HVAC equipment.
Equipment examples: heat pumps, coolers, chillers, refrigeration units, air handlers, VAV systems, exhaust systems, condensers, evaporators, coils, strip heaters, boilers, thermostats, VFDs, and hot water systems.
- Collaborate on troubleshooting and repairing DDC and pneumatic controls.
- Operate computerized controls.
- Maintain documentation for services performed and shops materials used.
- Respond to facilities related inquiries and emergencies.
- Maintain cleanliness and safety of work and jobsite spaces.
Minimum Experience/Education Requirement:
- 2 years of experience in the operation and maintenance of HVAC systems; or
- 2 years of technical school HVAC coursework.
License, Certification, and Other Requirements:
Within 90 days of hire:
- Please note - Although required within 90 days of hire, without having at least 2 years of HVAC related employment (and other requirements as listed below) prior to hire, it is impossible to obtain them within this time frame.
City of Seattle Grade Ill Steam Engineer's license
- (This requires at least 3 years of employment in a position directly responsible for the operation of boilers, or educational substitution for experience, plus one year of experience.)
City of Seattle Refrigeration Mechanic's License class A
- (This requires 3 years of experience conducting refrigeration repair and installation, as an apprentice to or as a journeyman refrigeration and/or air conditioning mechanic; or 2 years of training in a recognized school of technology, plus one year of experience in the refrigeration trade; or 2 years full-time experience in the refrigeration trade and graduation from a recognized trade school of refrigeration technology.)
L06A or EL07 Washington State Electrician Specialty License
- Minimum requirement of 4,000 hours of work experience under the supervision of a journey level electrician to obtain this license.
- HVAC/refrigeration system (EL06A)
- Nonresidential maintenance (EL07)
EPA CFC Universal Certificate
- Current Washington State driver's license or be able to obtain one by the start date.
FAS supports the City of Seattle's Race and Social Justice Initiative to end institutionalized racism by eliminating barriers to access, providing the staff and public with opportunities for growth, and developing equitable access to the programs and services we offer. If you share those values and meet the qualifications, we invite you to apply for this position.
All FAS positions require onsite work. Alternative Work Arrangements and hybrid telework schedules for work conducted in a normal office environment may be considered and will be based on operational needs and consistency with FAS policies.
The full salary range for this position is $40.83 - $44.15 per hour.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
There will be several steps for this process including a written test, a functional, hands-on test and an interview process for those who are selected.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and current resume along with your online application to be considered for this position.
Job offers are contingent upon successful completion of the following:
- Confirmation of COVID-19 vaccination
- Satisfactory driving history review
- Pre-employment physical exam
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: Continuous