Hourly Title I/LAP Tutor – Roosevelt Elementary
Tacoma Public Schools
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours per day: up to 2 hrs/day
Salary Level: $16.32
This position is to support Social Emotional Learning in the classroom.
The person in this role will work with students to help them set goals, coach them on practicing their SEL skills, help resolve conflict, and make plans to further develop SEL skills.
Examples Of Duties
Essential Job Functions
1. Tutors are hired by schools to teach students basic concepts in subjects ranging from reading comprehension and math, to writing and history.
2. Tutors read to students, guide them through pronunciation and explain terms using definitions and real-life examples. Pupils can range from kindergarten students learning the English alphabet, to high school seniors who need to refresh on basic algebra.
3. Tutors should be flexible, patient, attentive and responsible when dealing with students, parents and teachers.
4. Tutors must also be able to customize and craft effective tutoring plans that address student weaknesses and strengths.
5. Tutors should have excellent writing, oral and interpersonal communication skills, and demonstrate a mastery of various school subjects such as English, math and writing.
6. Tutors must be motivated and dedicated to helping students improve and succeed academically.
Education and Experience
Associate's degree or 72 credit hours of post secondary education or passing state test to demonstrate knowledge and ability to assist in instructing students; one year of prior experience working with school-aged youth, preferably in a classroom setting; some post secondary education is preferred; or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work and that meets federal and state requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of childhood academic, social and physical development.
Knowledge of assigned subject areas.
Ability to take direction from others.
Ability to establish positive relationships with school-aged youth.
Ability to obtain, clarify, and exchange information.
Ability to organize and coordinate activities with assistance of classroom teacher.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people multi-cultural, socio-economic setting.
Closing Date/Time: 9/18/2023 11:59 PM Pacific