Field Engineer I (Surveyor)
Open until filled.
First review beginning 08/28/2023
CORE VALUE STATEMENT
The City of Kennewick will provide excellent public service and ensure the safety and wellbeing of our community and one another through the empowerment of each employee. We value integrity, inclusiveness, stewardship and communication. We are accountable to our community for innovative and collaborative efforts that anticipate needs, leverage resources and deliver solutions.
We expect our employees to ensure compliance with all applicable safety practices and policies, including those established by OSHA/DOSH regulations and by the City's Accident Prevention Plan. This includes but is not limited to actively identifying and correcting potential hazards that may affect employee and public safety, including those identified by co-workers. Leading by example to promote a positive culture of workplace safety through everyday action; emphasizing safe completion of work throughout all aspects of developing and carrying out work plans.
Under general supervision, completes topographic, construction and as-built data collection for public works projects within the City's, rights-of-way and easements. Incumbent is responsible for field surveying, verifying existing rights-of-way and identifying new rights-of-way needed. Incumbents are responsible for field surveying, for a broad range of technically complex projects directly related to the construction of public infrastructure in accordance with contract documents and City and State Standards and Specifications.
Examples of Work Performed (Illustrative Only)
The following list reflects the essential job duties and responsibilities of this classification, but should not be considered all-inclusive. The incumbent will be expected to perform other related duties as assigned.
- Sets project controls and staking to ensure proper horizontal and vertical alignments are constructed on capital projects.
- Keeps accurate and thorough survey field notes,
- Performs field computations as required to determine position. Performs field computations as required to adjust/correct design elements for optimal performance.
- Perform a variety of mapping duties, including first order survey, for the development of accurate topographic data and contour information for design base maps and database entry into the City's Geographic Information System (GIS).
- Perform survey calculations and analysis. Reads and interprets legal descriptions. Find, evaluate and record land boundary and property corner evidence.
- Prepare survey maps and reports. Calculate property line locations.
- Provides assistance to engineering technicians and monitors work of private contractors as necessary in performing surveying, utility locating and inspection activities.
- Performs surveying activities as necessary to support the completion of construction projects in accordance with project specifications and City and State standards. Maintains records as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The initial work schedule for this classification will be full-time, Monday through Friday and may be eligible for an alternative work schedule with every other Friday off work. Early mornings, evenings and weekend work may be occasionally required. Overtime may be occasionally required. This classification is non-exempt under the FLSA.
This position requires an Associate's degree in civil engineering technology or a related field and/or two or more years of previous experience in surveying, or any combination of relevant education and experience sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties listed above. Possession of a Land Surveyor in Training (LSIT) certificate is desirable but not required for consideration.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Washington driver's license.
- Must pass a criminal background investigation.
- Must maintain a level of mental and physical fitness required to perform the essential functions of this classification.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To perform the essential functions of the classification, incumbents must be able to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Proficient in the operation, calibration and care of survey instruments, data collectors and GPS receivers.
- Intermediate level of understanding AutoCAD and other survey related software.
- Ability to read and understand legal descriptions and prepare basic drafting projects.
- Ability to understand and execute instructions working effectively with the general public.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Must maintain regular attendance and punctuality.
To perform the essential functions of the classification, incumbents must be able to meet the following physical requirements: must regularly talk, hear/listen, see/observe, sit, stand and walk; must regularly demonstrate fine motor skills; must occasionally exert up to 10 pounds of force.
The benefits listed below are those currently enjoyed by full-time City of Kennewick Non-Contract employees. It is important to remember that over the course of time these benefits may change - they are not permanent. Benefits may change through City Council or administrative action or changes mandated by state and federal law.
12 per year (9 scheduled; 3 "floating")
New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday, Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and three floating holidays selected by the employee. An employee will accrue one of the three floating holidays on each of the following days: February 1, February 12, and August 31. An employee will only accrue a floating holiday on these days if actually employed.
Paid Time Off (PTO)
The purpose of PTO is to compensate employees for absences due to injury, illness, vacation and personal business. In addition, the program is designed to provide employees with personal flexibility regarding the use of leave hours. PTO hours accrue based upon the actual number of regular hours worked.
Accrual per Month:
0-5yrs 6-9yrs 10-14yrs 15-19yrs 20-24yrs 25-29yrs 30+yrs
12 hours 15 hours 17 hours 19 hours 21 hours 23 hours 25 hours
All City employees are members of the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). The City and the employee both contribute toward the plan. PERS provides regular retirement and disability retirement benefits. City employees also participate in the Social Security Program. Rates effective as of 07/01/2021. ( www.drs.wa.gov )
PERS Employee Contribution Rate Employer Contribution Rate
Plan II 6.36% 9.39%
Plan III Employee Choice (see booklet) 9.39%
The City contributes an equivalent of 5% of your regular monthly salary to Mission Square Retirement (previously ICMA) deferred compensation program. No employee match required, but employees may contribute towards plan if desired. ( www.icmarc.org )
Medical, Dental& Vision Insurance
The City currently pays the entire dental and vision insurance premiums for the employee and dependents.Employee current premium share is $180.00 per month for medical insurance to cover themselves and dependents.
1.5 x annual salary (not to exceed $250K) provided by the City of Kennewick. Employee may purchase Voluntary Term Life Insurance for employee, spouse and/or dependents through New York Life (previously Cigna).
Long Term Disability
The City pays the entire long-term disability premium for employees through New York Life (previously Cigna).
The Wellness Program has been established to encourage employee health and fitness, both at work and at home. A City Wellness Committee promotes and provides opportunities for healthy lifestyles. Employee fitness center is open to all employees and their spouses.
An Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) is provided by the City to assist you and family members, providing counseling and treatment in such areas as stress, drug and alcohol abuse and family counseling.
Other Benefits Offered
- Flexible Spending Plan (Pre-Tax Deduction for Medical/Dental and Day Care)
- Aflac Supplemental Insurance
- Tuition Assistance
- Bereavement Leave
- Direct Deposit (paydays are 5th and 20th of the month)