Engineering Technician III, Tacoma Power T&D
Tacoma Power's Transmission & Distribution division is establishing an eligible list for Engineering Technician III that will be used to fill vacancies that occur over the next year. Tacoma Power's Transmission & Distribution section has one immediate Engineering Technician III vacancy within the Engineering Products & Services (EPS) team. The position performs advanced sub professional engineering duties in an office and field environment. The position also leads and provides work direction to Engineering Technicians I and II on assigned projects.
The Engineering Tech III position will be assigned to projects for Central Business District, New Services Engineering, Line Engineering, Asset Management and Construction & Maintenance. This position requires both AutoCAD and GIS knowledge along with electrical knowledge of overhead and underground power systems and standards.
- Maintain all types of residential and commercial drawings in AutoCAD and/or GIS
- Draft and Q.C. preliminary, for construction, & as-built prints
- Communicate and work independently with Engineers and Customers
- Guide, mentor, train and provide work direction to junior technicians
- Understand and adhere to IEEE, Tacoma Power and T&D drafting standards
- Assist in updating CAD Standard Documentation
- Attend and participate in project meetings
- Transmit drawings to customers
Graduation from high school or equivalent (GED) AND one of the following:
- Six years' experience in sub-professional engineering related work
- Four years' experience in sub-professional engineering related work and completion of a recognized engineering technology vocational education program which includes computer-aided drafting training
- Four years' experience in sub-professional engineering related work and two years' relevant college level engineering course work
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Valid Washington State Driver's License with maintenance thereafter.
Personal Protective Equipment and Safety Certificate as required with maintenance thereafter.
Knowledge & Skills
- Mathematics and its application to surveying, engineering, and other computations
- Practices, techniques and instruments used in engineering drafting
- Record-keeping techniques
- Operation of a personal computer, including MS Office Suite or similar software and computer aided drafting with AutoCAD
- Applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures
- Technical aspects of field of specialty
- Research methods
- Perform complex computations, make estimates and compile engineering data and statistics
- Operate computer-aided design/drafting equipment and customize programs as needed
- Operate, calibrate and set-up a variety of engineering tools and equipment
- Produce and interpret drawings and specifications
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Read, interpret, apply and explain codes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Maintain records and prepare reports
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Plan and organize work independently
- Lead, train and provide work direction to others
- Work safely according to City safety standards and practices
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
This recruitment is being managed by Georgia Lewis if you would like to be notified of similar opportunities or stay connected with things going on at Tacoma Public Utilities and the City of Tacoma, connect with me on LinkedIn!
City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Tacoma's diversity is its greatest asset. Tacoma embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. Communities of color and immigrant communities are fundamental to Tacoma's entrepreneurial spirit, workforce, and long-term success. In Tacoma, equity and empowerment are top priorities, meaning that all Tacoma residents must have equitable opportunities to reach their full potential and share in the benefits of community progress. One of our goals is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
The City of Tacoma is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in its workplace. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, and local laws.
Tacoma Power is an almost 100% hydroelectric, municipally-owned public power utility, located in Tacoma. We serve approximately 170,000 customers as one of the three operating divisions of Tacoma Public Utilities, alongside Tacoma Water and Tacoma Rail. As one of the most livable, walkable cities in the country, you'll find that Tacoma is a great fit for all interests with places to bike, run, hike, and explore, the perks of a big city, and the charm of a small town.
Interested individuals should apply online and attach a resume and cover letter that includes major responsibilities and accomplishments related to the position.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their supplemental questions scored by subject matter experts. Applicants who pass will be placed on the eligible list for interview and hiring consideration.
Appointment is subject to passing a background check. This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Local 17. New employees must successfully complete a nine-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400.
The City of Tacoma provides excellent medical, dental and vision plans for the whole family; paid holidays and paid leave; participation in the Tacoma Public Employees' Retirement System (alternate plan for Police/Fire); continuing education and advancement opportunities and a growing variety of City-sponsored health and wellness opportunities and incentives.
Medical Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Dental Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Vision Coverage: For eligible employees and their eligible dependents.
Paid Leave: City employees are entitled to received paid holidays, sick/vacation leave or personal time off (PTO), depending upon union affiliation and appointment type.
Insurance Plans: Employees are covered by a long-term disability plan. Short-term and expanded long-term disability insurance plans are also available to employees. The State Industrial Insurance Act also covers employees.
Deferred Compensation: Income can be set aside on a pretax basis and invested for supplementation of normal retirement income.
Retirement: All employees of the City, except members of the Police and Fire services, Tacoma Rail and certain project employees, are included in the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System. Information on the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System can be found at www.cityoftacoma.org or by calling (253) 502-8200.
Other Employment Information
Direct Deposit: Employees are paid on a bi-weekly schedule by direct deposit.
Salary Increases: Based on satisfactory job performance, the City provides for a regular progression of salary increases for most classifications according to the salary schedule.
Union Affiliation: Many job classifications are covered by union security provisions which require union membership, dues, or payment of equivalent service fees.
Note: The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
Closing Date/Time: 9/29/2023 5:00 PM Pacific