Electric Service Engineer
Seattle City Light, a department of the City of Seattle, is one of the nation's largest municipally owned utilities in terms of the number of customers served. Over the years we have worked very hard to keep Seattle's electricity affordable, reliable, and environmentally sound. Today, City Light is a recognized national leader in energy efficiency and environmental stewardship.
This position is an Electrical Service Engineer that provides professional engineering direction for large, complex electric service installations for commercial, industrial and government agency customers. This position will report to the Electrical Service Engineers Supervisor.
Here is more about what you'll be doing:
- Provide professional engineering advice on electrical service to large commercial, industrial and government utility customers. Duties include direct service to customers, project oversight, direction to engineering design teams, coordinate crew and metering resources.
- Assists large commercial and industrial customers or their representatives in engineering new or revised electrical systems, including the necessary protective relaying and control schemes for compatible operation of their equipment with City Light's distribution system.
- Consult with architects, engineers, developers, electrical contractors and representatives from other government agencies and property owners during the planning, design and construction of large commercial and industrial projects to ensure compliance with the Requirements for Electric Service.
- Review plans prepared by architects, engineers and electrical contractors to ensure compliance with applicable City Light requirements; prepares or analyzes engineering reports or studies to ensure compliance with City Light standards, and to promote more efficient electrical utilization for lighting, heating, cooling and industrial processes.
- Participates in the development and revision of utility policies related to electrical service requirements and rates, efficiency standards and other customer related issues.
- Prepare or analyze engineering reports or studies in order to assist customers with their electric service needs.
- Perform on-site inspections of new and revised electrical installations prior to connection with City Light's distribution system and provide on-going liaison with customers on service and billing problems and concerns.
- Coordinate with other City Light work groups to ensure that new or revised electric service and other customer service needs are provided in a timely manner.
- Initiate service requests and billing instructions for services provided and prepares contracts and other working agreements. Prepare paperwork for establishing customer accounts and apply appropriate rate to account.
- Work requires knowledge of the principles and practices of electrical engineering in order to review and evaluate complex commercial and industrial electrical systems. Knowledge of City Light's construction standards and requirements for electrical service connection, including energy conservation standards, is required to give proper advice to ensure compliance and the safe and efficient use of electric energy.
- Incumbents must be knowledgeable of the rules, regulations and rate structures of City Light, and the locations, characteristics and capacity of the utility's distribution system.
- Ability to maintain effective relations with department personnel, property owners, consultants, contractors, developers and the general public is also required.
- Support efforts to develop standardized work processes and process improvements within the ESE work group and other work groups.
Required Qualifications: In addition to the skills and experience mentioned below, a successful applicant will have experience that reflects a commitment to creating fair and equitable outcomes and has:
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field.
Experience: Requires a minimum of five years of professional electrical engineering or electrical sales engineering experience (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class)
Certification/License: Current Washington State Driver's License
Desired Qualifications - You will be successful if you have the following experience, skills, and abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, or Bachelor's Degree in Engineering in construction related field, or Bachelor's Degree in Engineering in electrical utility related field
- Experience in design, installation and operation of electrical distribution systems and/or electrical services in commercial and industrial facilities.
- Experience with customer services work involving the coordination of complex electrical service installations.
- Ability to successfully coordinate projects with customers, engineers, operations and metering.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice .
Please submit the following with your online application:
- A cover letter in which you clearly describe how your knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities prepare you for the job responsibilities and qualifications outlined in the job announcement
- A current resume of your educational and professional work experience.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all candidates that meet the qualifications. Seattle City Light values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Seattle City Light encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences.
Job offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process, including the completion of a background check and COVID-19 vaccination verification. The background check will involve a criminal history check, which includes conviction and arrest records in compliance with the Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance , SMC 14.17 and the City of Seattle Personnel Rule 10.3 . A driving history review may be conducted in compliance with SMC 4.79.020 . Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
The full salary range for this position is $ 51.77 - $ 60.23 per hour.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans .
Want to know more about Seattle City Light? Check out our web page: Careers at Seattle City Light - City Light | seattle.gov
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov