Data-Driven Policing Strategic Advisor (Ord. Title: Strategic Advisor 2, CL&PS)
About the Department:
The Seattle Police Department is comprised of approximately 1,600 dedicated law enforcement professionals all committed to creating and fostering a work environment that is collaborative, innovative, and leading the way in law enforcement principles and practices. Ours is a culture that encourages top performers to adhere to a standard of excellence in the identification of and resolution to complex challenges. At SPD we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals and pledge ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse traditions, heritages, and experiences.
About the Job:
The Seattle Police Department is looking for a Strategic Advisor to join its Data-Driven Policing team. SPD's Data-Driven Policing team is responsible for the analysis, recommendation and implementation of evidence-based policing strategies and analytic technology. This position reports directly to the head of Data-Driven Policing and supports all facets of the Department, Administrative and Operational.
- Conduct advanced analyses using criminal justice data.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on criminal justice evidenced-based practices.
- Produce analytic products for a wide array of audiences.
- Present analytic findings and elicit feedback through various avenues.
- Work across teams to support the Department's mission and priorities.
- Stay abreast on analytic technological advancements and techniques.
- Build and maintain analytic tools, e.g., reports and dashboards.
- Support the Department's Crime, Community, Performance & Partnership meeting, SeaStat .
Advanced degree in criminal justice, sociology, political science, business intelligence, or a social science-related field. A minimum of three years' experience implementing advanced research methods in the field, academia, or an equivalent combination of education and field experience. Advanced analytic publications or equivalent work-related products.
- Masters-level education or higher.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Education or certificate in crime analysis.
- Experience with analytic data visualization tools, e.g., Tableau, Power BI, ArcGIS, etc.
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and software, e.g., SPSS, R, Stata, etc.
- Presented on analytic topics or defended research and analysis in a professional or public setting.
- Experience mining and analyzing data with law enforcement Record Management Systems and Computer-Aided Dispatch or equivalent databases.
- Experience developing and maintaining analytic products and tools to provide guidance and transparency to a wide array of individuals and audiences.
- Member of an academic or professional association.
- Must pass a Seattle Police Department background investigation.
- Must have a valid Driver's license or equivalent mobility.
- This position is a hybrid position; the City requires the position be in person 2 days a week. Individual schedules will be based on agreement between the employee and their supervisor.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans .
The full salary range for this position is $47.85 - $71.80 per hour. This is a full-time (1.0 FTE) regular position with full benefits, is FLSA exempt (not eligible for overtime), and falls under the discretionary pay band (for additional information, please visit Personnel Rule 3.2 - Accountability Pay for Executives Pay Program ).
How to Apply:
Apply online at www.seattle.gov/jobs . Please refer to: Job Number: 2023-01485. If you have any questions, please contact Dene Warren Sakamoto at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov