Custodian (Temporary Leave Replacement)
Tacoma Public Schools
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours per day: 8.0
Salary Level: CU/OA, $22.31hr
Union/Days per year: Custodian 260 work days, 12 month
Benefits: This job has the full range of benefits offered by Tacoma Public Schools.
Additional Information: Time-frame for this position is 03/27/2023 - 07/31/2023.
Great news, Tacoma Public School District is hiring Custodians right now. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply today.
You must be available to work the following shifts: To be Determined
Swing Shift: 3:00pm - 11:30pm
Swing Shift: 4:00pm - 12:30am
Graveyard Shift: 10:00pm - 6:30am
In addition from the middle of June to the middle of August, the district is on a 4-10hour days work schedule, Monday - Thursday; from 6:30 am - 5:00 pm; off on Fridays.
During spring and winter break, work hours follow day shift schedule, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm
You may be asked to work at 2 schools in one evening. Reliable transportation is required for travel between the 2 schools within a 30-minute time frame. Bus or Bicycle are not permitted.
Valid/current Washington State Driver's License is required.
Examples Of Duties
This position performs custodial maintenance duties including dusting, mopping, finishing and buffing floors, vacuuming and shampooing carpets, cleaning and restocking restrooms to assure clean and sanitary conditions in a building.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Sweeps, mops, strips, and polishes floors; vacuums and spot cleans carpets; empties wastebaskets into dumpsters; cleans and empties trash cans; dusts and cleans working surfaces, walls, cabinets, furniture, fixtures, etc.; cleans and sanitizes rest rooms and kitchen including sinks, toilets, stalls, and dispensers; restocks supplies as needed; locks doors after cleaning areas.
2. Replaces light bulbs and makes minor repairs to building.
3. Washes windows and mirrors; sweeps sidewalks, stairs, and areas outside of building.
4. Moves and arranges equipment and furniture for a variety of school activities; sets up tables and chairs; moves packages; cleans premises.
5. Reports building and equipment conditions and failures requiring repair or preventive maintenance.
6. Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; maintains custodial supply rooms and equipment in a clean and orderly manner; performs routine maintenance to custodial equipment and supplies.
7. Promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
8. May oversee and/or assist with snow removal activities; assists in maintaining building exterior and grounds during inclement weather to ensure proper protection and safety.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
1. Attends staff meetings to maintain current knowledge of safe and efficient maintenance and operation of the equipment in the building.
2. Performs other related duties as assigned, on a temporary basis.
3. Regular, reliable, predictable attendance or physical presence is an essential job requirement and critical to the performance of the work.
Work involves considerable heavy physical work, including heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects weighing up to 50 pounds; required to use power equipment in cleaning processes; may be required to work in confined spaces and/or climb ladders; required to work outdoors in inclement weather; works requires exposure to chemicals, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises; may be required to lift 20 pounds and team carry up to 50 pounds, bend, squat, stoop, kneel, crouch, walk, twist, climb, and be mobile.
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent and one year of experience in custodial work preferred; or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work.
Pre-employment physical examination and medical history and criminal background check.
Washington State Driver's License required.
Fingerprints and successful WSP and FBI background clearance/sexual misconduct clearance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of custodial operations and related equipment.
Skill in minor mechanical and equipment repair.
Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
Ability to demonstrate reasonable, reliable, and regular attendance.
Ability to understand verbal instructions.
Ability to operate vacuums and other related equipment.
Ability to safely use cleaning equipment and supplies.
Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to the work.
Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
Ability to lift and manipulate heavy objects using proper equipment and safety precautions.
Ability to understand written and verbal communications.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people in a multi-cultural, diverse socio-economic setting.
Ability to perform heavy physical labor.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. District administration has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the primary functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Tacoma Public Schools does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination:
- Civil Rights Coordinator: Renee Trueblood, 25-57-252, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Title IX Coordinator, Elementary: Christa Erolin, 25-57-8, email@example.com
- Title IX Coordinator, Secondary: Wayne Greer, 25-57-9, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 504 Coordinator, Elementary: Jennifer Herbold, 25-57-096, email@example.com
- 504 Coordinator, Secondary: Megan Nelson, 25-57-00, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing address: P.O. Box 1357, Tacoma, WA 98401-1357.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous