Construction and Maintenance Equipment Operator
"This position is a Sunset Position and has budget approval through 2026, with the option of an extension to 2028. The extension of budget is based upon the Departments request to extend the position and the approval by City Council to continue to fund the position."
Vision: Seattle is a thriving and equitable community powered by dependable transportation.
Mission: To deliver a transportation system that provides safe and affordable access to places and opportunities.
The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) is a nationally recognized municipal transportation agency at the leading edge of multi-modal transportation. In our quickly growing city, accessibility, safety, affordability, and reliability - are top of mind for us every day! Our core values drive our work toward creating an equitable, sustainable, and vibrant city for all. SDOT's core responsibilities include maintenance and operations of the city's transportation right-of-way, the expansion of the city's bicycle and pedestrian network, care of over 240 bridges, permitting use of public spaces and enhancing access to the regional transit system. With approximately 1,100 dedicated staff, SDOT maintains an operational presence 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in all weather conditions to serve and ensure Seattle's public mobility.
SDOT has an exciting opportunity for a Construction and Maintenance Equipment Operator (CMEO). The CMEO will execute specific instructions for the safe operation of heavy construction and maintenance equipment.
The position will support Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) work on curb ramp restoration, sidewalk repairs, utility cut restoration, and emergency response around the city. The position involves working across the entire organization, as well as collaborating with staff from other departments within the City. Come help keep Seattle moving!
- Responsible for the safe operation of heavy construction and maintenance equipment.
- Communicates regularly with engineering personnel and employees from City Light, Water, Parks, and Fire departments to discuss jobs, job sites, and utility locations.
- Operates backhoes that are 80 hp or less (580, 680, 780 backhoes/loaders that are rubber tired or --Ford 4500 - or their equivalent replacements), double drum roller, front end loaders, and mobile sweepers.
- Operate mobile sweepers to clean streets on designated routes, clean up spills in the street, and support regional water quality initiatives.
- Operate rubber tire loaders to move materials, load trucks, and supplies.
- Operate backhoe in Right-of-Way (ROW) on-street restoration or other types of work.
- Operates Tractor Mowers and or Trucks to cut vegetation in the ROW.
- Operates rollers and related paving equipment.
- Apply OSHA/WISHA rules, labor, and industries rules, SDOT policy and safety rules, and contract language within a variety of bargaining.
- Work as a team leader utilizing good communication skills to ensure job completion, safety, and efficiency.
- Drive a variety of trucks requiring a Class "A" CDL.
- Operate motorized construction and maintenance equipment and their accessories, and heavy trucks for transporting construction and maintenance equipment.
- Maintains, troubleshoots, and cleans equipment.
- Check oil, water, and tire pressure.
- Wash windows and washes off dirt and grease.
- Inspects job site for underground utilities, overhead obstructions and hazardous conditions.
- Dig holes, trenches and tunnels and stockpiles spoil or loads spoil in dump truck for hauling.
- Drive truck and trailer to and from job sites.
- Document daily activities, inspections, and accomplishments.
- Inspect job assignments for overhead obstructions and hazardous conditions.
- Support department goals in promoting race, diversity, and social justice.
- Ensures safety regulations are observed during the loading, rigging transporting, and unloading of materials.
- Perform thorough inspection of combination truck or tractor/trailers prior to operation to ensure its safe condition; cleans equipment and performs minor repair.
- May be required to act in a lead capacity at job sites where all other activities are secondary to equipment operation.
- Perform other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
- One year experience in heavy equipment operation and maintenance or completion of a recognized course in construction and maintenance equipment operation, including practical operating experience and instruction in mechanical principles and general construction and maintenance procedures.
OR: An equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the position duties. .
Though not requirements, strong candidates will have some of the following experience or are able to describe comparable experience:
- Knowledge of the operation of construction and maintenance equipment.
- Understand how to read and interpret blueprints.
- Understand the construction of ADA ramps, road panels, and sidewalks.
- Comfortable driving CDL required equipment in the snow and ice response.
- Experience leading crews.
- Ability to operate motorized construction and maintenance equipment and their accessories, and heavy trucks for transporting construction and maintenance equipment.
License, Certification and Other Requirements
Requires current Washington State Commercial Class A driver's license with the Air Brake restriction removed and Tanker endorsement.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather.
- Exposed to dust, dirt, high noise levels, diesel and gas fumes, and engine exhaust.
- Moderate physical exertion required to operate equipment.
- Standing, bending, stooping, and lifting more than 50 pounds sometimes required.
Your application will not be reviewed if these items are missing or incomplete.
Applications are reviewed after the posting closes. Qualified candidates must submit the following to be considered:
Completed NEOGOV online application.Supplemental questionnaire responses Offers of employment are contingent on verification of information provided by the applicant as part of the application process, including a potential background check.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The full salary range for this position is $35.80 - $38.83 hourly.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/5/2023 4:00 PM Pacific