Civil Engineering Specialist, Associate
Seattle City Light, a department of the City of Seattle, is one of the nation's largest municipally owned utilities in terms of the number of customers served. Over the years we have worked very hard to keep Seattle's electricity affordable, reliable, and environmentally sound. Today, City Light is a recognized national leader in energy efficiency and environmental stewardship.
The Engineering & Technology Operations Division has an exciting opportunity for a Civil Engineering Specialist Associate level design drafter in the Technical Resources Unit. The Technical Resources Unit is responsible for collecting, preparing, updating and maintaining all drawings of hydroelectric projects and high voltage substations to ensure drawings used by the City are accurate and timely to avoid project delays and work hazards.
This position will be the primary CAD drafter for multi-disciplinary CIP and O&M projects. They will create base maps, 3D models, construction design drawings, post-construction record drawings, and perform document management and technological initiatives. All work is done in Autodesk Civil 3D, AutoCAD, Revit, Inventor and other design/drafting applications. This position will report to the Technical Resources Supervisor.
Job Responsibilities - Here is more about what you'll be doing:
Design CAD Technicians predominately support Engineers in design drafting, performing well-defined design work, research and assembly of record base maps, post construction (as-built) record drawings and document management.
- Create and/or modify existing architectural, civil, mechanical, structural and electrical drawings to meet design criteria for new or modified assets.
- Strong knowledge of the principles, techniques, materials, equipment and nomenclature used in engineering design and drafting.
- Collaborate with engineering, operations, and maintenance personnel to assess, consolidate, organize, and correct deficiencies in existing facility design drawings, data, and other related documentation.
- Stay abreast in city-wide technology initiatives and integrate those innovations into generation and substation engineering.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with regulations common in the electric utility industry;
- Adhere to and contribute to maintaining design, drafting and document management standards.
Required Qualifications: In addition to the skills and experience mentioned below, a successful applicant will have experience that reflects a commitment to creating fair and equitable outcomes and has:
Education: Requires two years experience as a Civil Engineering Specialist, Assistant, and an Associate Degree in Civil Engineering Technology or two years of college level coursework in engineering and construction technology (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
Certification/License: Current Washington State driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility
- Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment.
- Field assignments entail exposure to all types of weather, traffic, hazardous/toxic substances and work in or near construction sites.
- May be required to lift over 50 pounds.
- May be required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
- Overnight travel may be required.
The full salary range for this position is $44.09to $51.32 per hour.
Desired Qualifications - You will be successful if you have the following experience, skills, and abilities:
- A minimum of two years' experience using AutoCAD and Civil 3D in a Civil Engineering production drafting.
- Knowledge of Autodesk Revit and Laser point cloud.
- Skilled in creating 2D plan sets and 3D models.
- Experience in multiple disciplines within Civil Engineering.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of civil infrastructure typical of generation and substation facilities.
- Strong commitment to teamwork.
- Strong communication skills.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice .
Please submit the following with your online application:
- A cover letter in which you clearly describe how your knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities prepare you for the job responsibilities and qualifications outlined in the job announcement
- A current resume of your educational and professional work experience.
Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all candidates that meet the qualifications. Seattle City Light values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Seattle City Light encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences.
Job offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process, including the completion of a background check. The background check will involve a criminal history check, which includes conviction and arrest records in compliance with the Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance , SMC 14.17 and the City of Seattle Personnel Rule 10.3 . A driving history review may be conducted in compliance with SMC 4.79.020 . Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans .
Want to know more about Seattle City Light? Check out our web page: http://www.seattle.gov/light/ .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 12/5/2023 4:00 PM Pacific