Cement Finisher Senior
Vision: Seattle is a thriving and equitable community powered by dependable transportation.
Mission: To deliver a transportation system that provides safe and affordable access to places and opportunities.
The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) is a nationally recognized municipal transportation agency at the leading edge of multi-modal transportation. In our quickly growing city, accessibility, safety, affordability, and reliability are top of mind for us every day! Our core values drive our work toward creating an equitable, sustainable, and vibrant city for all. SDOT's core responsibilities include maintenance and operations of the city's transportation right-of-way, the expansion of the city's bicycle and pedestrian network, permitting use of public spaces and enhancing access to the regional transit system. With approximately 1,200 dedicated staff, SDOT maintains an operational presence 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in all weather conditions to serve and ensure Seattle's public mobility.
SDOT has an exciting opportunity for a Sr. Cement Finisher on our Maintenance team within the MOD Division. These experienced professionals will perform structural concrete repair work such as breaking out, removing, and replacing concrete on roadways, ADA ramps, sidewalks, and curbs. You will also be part of a skilled snow and ice team helping keep the city of Seattle mobile. Come help keep Seattle moving!
Monday - Friday form 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM.
- Leading a crew of 11 under the supervision of a Crew Chief constructing ADA ramps, sidewalks and road panels.
- Leading preconstruction job walks, job set ups, material paperwork, and crew timesheets.
- Ordering concrete, working with vendor dispatch.
- Able to read blueprints to form ADA ramps, sidewalks and road panels or obtain the skills to do so within 6 months.
- Able to rake, shovel rock and lift heavy objects.
- Assist operators on breakouts and grading.
- Respond to voids around the city.
- Knowledgeable of setting up traffic control plans, emergency response, comfortable driving in snow and ice.
- Reads blueprints, plans, and specifications.
- Breaks out and removes old concrete.
- Backfills utility cuts in streets and sidewalks; prepares subgrade for concrete.
- Establishes line and grade and does rough and final grading, sidewalks, driveways, and curbs, including measuring, lay out, cutting, joining, and constructing of wooden forms.
- Calculates and procures materials needed to perform tasks.
- Support department goals in promoting diversity and social justice.
Completion of a journey-level cement finisher apprenticeship program or three years related experience in concrete construction, installation, and repair.
- One year of experience leading concrete crews.
- One year of experience as a cement finisher OR one-year related experience in concrete construction, installation, and repair.
- Proficient reading blueprints, job layout, and traffic control set up.
- Proficient in forming ADA ramps, sidewalks, and road panels.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural workplace with a diverse customer base.
- Ability to obtain a flagger card within 6 months.
- Knowledge of the five major components of concrete.
- Knowledge of the Right of Way Restoration Rules (ROWRR)
- Knowledge of the in-street manual
- Knowledge of cross slopes for sidewalks and ADA Ramps
- Understanding of SDOT Safety Policy
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Requires standing, walking, or bending for extended periods of time.
- Frequently requires lifting objects in excess of 50 pounds.
- Occasionally requires handling or working with toxic/hazardous substances.
- Requires working outdoors in all types of weather around moving traffic.
License, Certification, and Other Requirements
- Current Washington State driver's license.
- Flagger certified (or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire date)
Your application will not be reviewed if these items are missing or incomplete.
Applications are reviewed after the posting closes. Qualified candidates must submit the following to be considered:
Completed NEOGOV online application.Supplemental questionnaire responses. Offers of employment are contingent on verification of information provided by the applicant as part of the application process.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The full salary range for this position is $37.00 - $38.43 per hour.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 11/14/2023 4:00 PM Pacific