Business Services Analyst, Sr.
The City of Tacoma is committed to fostering a workplace that is innovative and flexible, and which attracts, supports, and retains a diverse and talented workforce.
Are you someone who thrives on groundbreaking analysis? Do you have a passion for developing and collaborating with others to ensure the right work is done on behalf of customers? Do you have a talent for finding the story in the data that ensures excellence in decision making? You may be the ideal candidate for Tacoma Power's Senior Business Services Analyst position!
Tacoma Power has a strong commitment to Asset Investment Planning and we're looking for a Senior Business Services Analyst to help drive those efforts. This position will play a key role in implementing an Asset Investment Planning program within Power Shared Services (PSS). This includes leading teams in planning, developing, and translating complex analyses on asset and system risk, informing PSS's Capital Budget program, and developing and integrating business process improvements.
We are looking for someone eager and ready to work cross-functionally with multiple stakeholders, analyze alternatives based on data-driven economic analysis, and make recommendations to leadership on work and resource prioritization.
Asset Class Strategies & Asset Investment Plan
- Lead cross-functional teams in the development and updating of Asset Class Strategies, including reviewing historical spending, maintenance approaches, risk levels, and data structures. Make process improvement recommendations for capital and O&M budgets and asset data quality. Ensure that long-term work recommendations maintain asset and system performance requirements while mitigating risk exposure.
- Work with financial and project management personnel to support development and updating of the PSS Asset Investment Plan. This will include planned maintenance and project prioritization, based on a consolidation of analysis from Asset Class Strategies, to inform long-term strategic maintenance and capital improvement plans for PSS.
- Make recommendations to executive leadership and asset owners regarding the capital budgeting process. Review proposed work from an Asset Investment Planning perspective, utilizing complex analysis and modeling. Perform alternatives analysis for proposed capital projects. Develop and perform financial analysis on multiple work portfolio scenarios to project asset spending and resource allocation over at least a 10-year period.
- Lead project teams to modify existing processes with new approaches to long-term budgeting, including establishment of preventive and corrective maintenance plans within an asset information system. Work cross-functionally with various stakeholders to establish new approaches to predicting cost and resource needs.
Run/Update/Use/Improve Asset Risk and Cost Models:
- Ensure that analytical models are current, including updating and maintaining variables within models.
- Using advanced technical knowledge, develop and maintain documentation regarding the use of asset models (e.g. guidance on data sources, data manipulation, and required support, planned updates and expected outputs).
Bachelor's degree public or business administration or directly related field
4 years of progressively responsible analytical and/or program coordination/management work in area related to assignment
*Equivalency: 1 year of experience = 1 year of education
Knowledge & Skills
Desired Skills/ Experience:
- Experience with SAP, SAS, R, Python, SQL, NoSQL, FME and data visualization tools such as Tableau
- Ability to program in R, SAS or Python
- Expert Excel skills
- Asset Management Certification
***Studies have shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet all listed qualifications. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one from a less traditional background. If you have transferable skills and experience, please tell us about them.***
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
This recruitment is being managed by Kye Merritt. If you would like to be notified of similar opportunities or stay connected with things going on at Tacoma Public Utilities and the City of Tacoma, connect with them on LinkedIn.
City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At the City of Tacoma, we're on a mission to make our workforce as diverse and inclusive as the community we serve. We're committed to eliminating racial and other disparities, and we actively seek out candidates from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures. Join our team at the City of Tacoma and help us build a more vibrant, inclusive, and equitable community for all.
Tacoma Power is an almost 100% hydroelectric, municipally-owned public power utility, located in Tacoma. We serve approximately 180,000 customers as one of the three operating divisions of Tacoma Public Utilities, alongside Tacoma Water and Tacoma Rail. As one of the most livable, walkable cities in the country, you'll find that Tacoma is a great fit for all interests with places to bike, run, hike, and explore, the perks of a big city, and the charm of a small town.
Interested individuals should apply online. Please attach a detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position.
Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check.
Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, questions regarding this job announcement, or if you are experiencing complications while applying, please contact the Human Resources office at (253) 591.5400 by 4:00 pm of the closing date of the job announcement. This will allow us to assist you before the job announcement closes.
The City of Tacoma provides excellent medical, dental and vision plans for the whole family; paid holidays and paid leave; participation in the Tacoma Public Employees' Retirement System (alternate plan for Police/Fire); continuing education and advancement opportunities and a growing variety of City-sponsored health and wellness opportunities and incentives.
Medical Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Dental Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Vision Coverage: For eligible employees and their eligible dependents.
Paid Leave: City employees are entitled to received paid holidays, sick/vacation leave or personal time off (PTO), depending upon union affiliation and appointment type.
Insurance Plans: Employees are covered by a long-term disability plan. Short-term and expanded long-term disability insurance plans are also available to employees. The State Industrial Insurance Act also covers employees.
Deferred Compensation: Income can be set aside on a pretax basis and invested for supplementation of normal retirement income.
Retirement: All employees of the City, except members of the Police and Fire services, Tacoma Rail and certain project employees, are included in the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System. Information on the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System can be found at www.cityoftacoma.org or by calling (253) 502-8200.
Other Employment Information
Direct Deposit: Employees are paid on a bi-weekly schedule by direct deposit.
Salary Increases: Based on satisfactory job performance, the City provides for a regular progression of salary increases for most classifications according to the salary schedule.
Union Affiliation: Many job classifications are covered by union security provisions which require union membership, dues, or payment of equivalent service fees.
Note: The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
Closing Date/Time: 9/25/2023 5:00 PM Pacific