Business Analyst (Planning & Development Specialist, Senior)
This position was originally posted in May 2023. Please note that if you previously applied to this position, you do not need to reapply.
Seattle Public Utilities is seeking a driven, team-oriented, and experienced Business Analyst (Planning & Development Specialist, Senior) to join our collaborative and innovative team responsible for developing, improving, and monitoring internal controls and business processes throughout the Utility. The Internal Controls Team is dedicated to ensuring appropriate accounting for and allowable expenditures of Utility ratepayer funds.
The Business Analyst serves as a partner and trusted advisor providing analytical support and technical services to address audit recommendations and develop effective policies, procedures, and control improvements to reduce the risk of fraud, waste, and misappropriation of funds. This position picks up where an auditor has left off. Central to this work is partnering with stakeholders to gain a strong understanding of the business, identifying issues, and developing, evaluating, and implementing solutions. The Business Analyst is accountable for conducting complex assessments, data analysis, developing/improving policies and procedures and implementing internal controls while maintaining efficient processes to accomplish the work.
About Seattle Public Utilities: Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a community-centered utility that delivers vital services to Seattle residents and businesses including drinking water, drainage and wastewater, and garbage/recycling/compost. SPU also provides drinking water for 1.5 million customers in the region. SPU's work includes system maintenance and improvements and keeping Seattle clean. Over 1,400 SPU employees work with our community to provide affordable and equitable stewardship of our water and waste resources for future generations.
For more information about Seattle Public Utilities (SPU), checkout the:
- SPU Website
- SPU Workplace Expectations (Download PDF reader)
- Strategic Business Plan
SPU commits to Our City Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity. We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities.
Why join our team?
We know work isn't only about what you do, it's also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a work life balance, including:
- Family-friendly and multicultural work environment
- Generous benefits package
- Free Orca Pass
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions.
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities.
- Lead or coordinate with affected divisions and work groups to design new processes, procedures, policies, controls or systems to successfully implement recommended changes identified in audits and assessments.
- Serve as subject matter expert to gather and analyze financial data and assess, design or modify, and implement financial internal controls to mitigate risk of fraud and the misappropriation of funds.
- Develop detailed work plans, including achievements, results and schedules to carry out and implement assigned projects, programs, services, internal controls or policies.
- Carry out research and analysis to develop alternative and recommended strategies, procedures, internal controls and policies.
- Lead or coordinate preparation of reports and presentations for various levels of staff and top-level management using varied presentation formats and tools; present analysis, alternatives and recommendations to all levels of staff, department management and other City departments for decision-making.
- Lead or support the detailed design and documentation of business processes, procedures, internal controls and policies.
- Develop, conduct or arrange for stakeholder training in new methods, processes or systems; work with affected units to implement changes.
- Develop and maintain tools to track implementation progress and provide routine reports to management.
- Lead, coordinate or support oversight of work functions to ensure new or modified business processes, procedures, internal controls or policies are functioning as intended.
- Serve as a technical expert and perform complex financial duties to strengthen SPU's financial operations and financial internal controls.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Experience: Three (3) years of experience in planning and research related to land use, urban economics, human services, environmental issues, conservation; or other work directly related to City planning and development activities.
Education: Bachelor's degree in planning, urban design, environmental studies, public administration or related field.
Experience and Education Equivalency: Combinations of appropriate education, training, certification, and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability to the minimum education and experience requirements.
Desired Qualifications :
- Demonstrated experience with public policy development or business administration.
- Experience with financial internal controls development or risk management.
- Experience with program or project management.
- Consistent track record of optimally planning and leading projects.
- Experience leading teams through process redesign and implementation efforts to result in organizational success.
- Experience with negotiation, organizational development, or change management.
- Demonstrated ability to establish relationships in difficult situations.
- Experience performing complex and technically difficult accounting tasks.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
The full salary range for this position is $ 47.57 - $ 55.44 per hour.
Application Process: For optimal consideration, we encourage you to include a cover letter and resume with your application. We encourage you to use your cover letter to discuss why you want to do this work and how you meet the qualifications for the position. Your resume should summarize the talent, experience, knowledge, and skills you bring to this work. Candidates selected for interviews will be required to complete a one-hour exercise prior to the interview.
~Candidates Submitting an Incomplete Application Package, will NOT be considered~
Workplace Environment/Telework Expectations: This position allows for the flexibility of a hybrid work schedule. Employees will be required to come into the office twice a week. Individual schedules will be agreed upon by the employee and their supervisor.
Benefits: The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
Who may apply: This position is open to all applicants that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience. This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. If you have any questions, please c ontact Erika Monroe at Erika.Monroe@seattle.gov
Learn more about Seattle Public Utilities at our web page www.seattle.gov/util/ .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov