Boys Basketball Assistant Coach – Stadium
Tacoma Public Schools
Expected Start Date: November 13, 2023
Season Dates:November, 2023 - March, 2024
Salary Level: 19.19/hour
This position is not eligible for benefits.
Examples Of Duties
This position assists the head coach in carrying out the objectives of the athletic program. The employee must understand and abide by all building, Tacoma School District and Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Supervises student athletes to promote effective student learning through participation in athletic activities.
2. Assists the head coach in preparing athletes both physically and mentally to participate with confidence and self-assurance in athletic contests; administers discipline when necessary in a fair and consistent manner; emphasizes safety precautions; provides opportunities for each participant to achieve some success.
3. Assists in overseeing practice sessions that are both stimulating and instructive, and conducted on a regular daily basis with the idea of developing the athlete's greatest potential; teaches basic fundamental skills of the sport; emphasizes and promotes good sportsmanship in the conduct of team members and coaches; abides by regulations in the Coaches' Handbook
4. Follows district procedures for handling injuries.
5. Oversees the issuing equipment; maintains records including dates and times of issuance; assures the systematic return of all equipment, the cleaning and storing of equipment; performs weekly safety check for all equipment; holds students responsible for lost equipment; completes inventory lists and provides copies to the building athletic director.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
1. Attends all district and building athletic meetings as called by building athletic director and/or district athletic director.
2. Updates knowledge by attending clinics, workshops, and maintaining familiarity with current athletic programs; keeps current with regard to rule changes as adopted by WIAA and Tacoma School District
3. Performs related duties as assigned.
Work with students in outdoor playing field, indoor and outdoor courts, gymnasium, swimming pool or other sports facility; physical ability to lift and move sports equipment and demonstrate sports skills when necessary; may be exposed to infectious diseases and inclement weather.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or equivalent and some coaching experience; must be at least 19 years of age (WIAA regulation); or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work and that meets federal and state requirements.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be evaluated by the Human Resources department for comparability.
First Aid Certificate, CPR card and AED training are required.
Red Cross Safety Training or Lifeguard certification is also required for swimming, diving and water polo coaches.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of building, Tacoma School District, and WIAA policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
Knowledge of the particular sport.
Ability to comply with WIAA coaching standards.
Ability to exercise fairness in dealing with student athletes.
Ability to motivate student athletes.
Ability to conduct oneself in an ethical and exemplary manner at all times.
Ability to maintain poise and composure during practice and games.
Ability to relate to and work with students of differing athletic abilities.
Ability to establish and maintain effective work and student relationships with a variety of people in a multi-cultural, diverse socio-economic setting.
Ability to maintain accurate records.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. District administration has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the primary functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Tacoma Public Schools does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination:
- Civil Rights Coordinator: Renee Trueblood, 253-571-1252, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Title IX Coordinator, Elementary: Christa Erolin, 253-571-1318, email@example.com
- Title IX Coordinator, Secondary: Wayne Greer, 253-571-1191, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 504 Coordinator, Elementary: Jennifer Herbold, 253-571-1096, email@example.com
- 504 Coordinator, Secondary: Megan Nelson, 253-571-1003, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing address: P.O. Box 1357, Tacoma, WA 98401-1357.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous