Associate Electrical Engineer
Are you an electrical engineer with a background in power systems ? Do you thrive o n troubleshooting a nd working collaboratively with other engineers? Are you interested in working on progressive projects that support infrastructure in Seattle communities? Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) Project Delivery and Engineering Branch is seeking an Associate Electrical Engineer and we hope you consider applying!
This position will work with a multidisciplinary team to deliver new infrastructure projects and support SPU crews operating our existing infrastructure. P ump station rehabilitation and cathodic protection projects will be the primary focus of the position, although duties will also include a broad range of projects across all of SPU's lines of business - Water, Drainage and Wastewater, and Solid Waste . Past cathodic protection experience is not required to apply for this position . If hired, SPU will provide all necessary training in cathodic protection systems .
About Seattle Public Utilities: Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a Community Centered Utility whose mission is to foster healthy people, environment, and economy by partnering with our community to equitably manage water and waste resources for today and future generations. We deliver high quality, vital services, across four major lines of business: providing water, solid waste, drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses . In addition, SPU provides drinking water for 1 . 5 million regional customers in Seattle and other municipalities . Our customers depend on us to deliver high quality, reliable, and cost-conscious utility services and to achieve the highest benefits possible for every investment we make .
For more information about Seattle Public Utilities (SPU), please visit:
- SPU Workplace Expectations
- Strate g ic Business Plan
- Shape Our Water Plan
SPU commits to Our Cit y Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work . We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity . We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities .
Why join us?
We know work isn't only about what you do it's also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a work life balance, including:
- Hybrid work schedule opportunities
- Family-friendly and multicultural work environment
- Generous benefits package
- Free public transportation options
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities
- Serves as electrical designer on multidisciplinary design teams for water, wastewater, and solid waste facility and infrastructure projects.
- Coordinates and reviews the work submitted by consultants and manufacturers on construction, fabrication, installation, and modifications of electrical systems.
- Tests electrical systems, equipment facilities, and materials to determine performance and efficiency.
- Works in the field with contractors and SPU crews at new and existing facilities to check and troubleshoot electrical systems, SCADA systems, and programmable automation controllers.
- Prepares power system analyses including arc flash studies for existing and new facility power systems.
- Prepares final plans, specifications, reports, and estimates for cathodic protection systems for water pipelines.
- Provides review of 3 rd party plans for projects that may generate stray current on SPU facilities such as electrified rail.
- Performs other duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Three (3) years professional Electrical Engineering experience.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering .
- Other combinations of education and/or experience which provides preparation to do professional electrical engineering work.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment.
License, Certification and Other Requirements
- Current Washin g ton State driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility .
The ideal candidate will have the following knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Well-developed written and oral communications skills .
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders .
- Ability to work within the organizational framework of SPU Workplace Expectations including our values on Safety, Respect, Diversity, Trust, Humor, Productivity, Integrity, Innovation, and Partnership .
- Ability to communicate and work effectively within a multi-cultural workforce serving a diverse customer base .
- Appreciation for the importance of public service and equity in the delivery of infrastructure services.
E xperience (any level) in some or all of the following areas:
- Design or operation of plant facilities with integrated process controls .
- Power system analys i s using ETAP software .
- Hands-on troubleshooting of electrical systems , motors, and motor controls
- AutoCAD Civil3D and AutoCAD Electric al or equivalent software for mechanical and plant design .
- Design, operation, o r troubleshooting of cathodic protection systems
- An online application including response to the supplemental questionnaire must be fully completed for consideration.
- Resume and c over letter addressing your knowledge and experience, related to this position .
Who may apply: The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience . This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences . Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity .
The full salary range for this position is: $46.61 - $54.40 Hourly
Recruiter Contact: For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact: Danielle Sheridan at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents .
- More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
Learn more about Seattle Public Utilities at our web pa g e www . seattle . gov/util/
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/5/2023 4:00 PM Pacific