Assistant Division Manager, Public Works
**This position is open until filled. Applications received by September 18 , 2023, will receive first consideration. **
The Public Works Department is recruiting for an appointive position of Assistant Division Manager in the Public Works Division. We are seeking an experienced, skilled, dynamic, and innovative person to lead the Project Delivery team, delivering capital infrastructure projects from a capital budget ranging between $75 - $100 million dollars.
The Assistant Division Manager oversees project managers, engineers, technicians, and business services analysts, and is responsible for planning, staffing, and managing the execution of complex large-scale projects, asset management, permitting, and a sidewalk program. Projects are designed and managed to provide safe, equitable, and accessible infrastructure.
- Lead and manage staff, assignments, workload projections, projects, programs, and develop and implement project delivery processes and strategies.
- Direct project teams in building and maintaining relationships to facilitate effective project communication and achieve project objectives, goals, and performance measures.
- Train, develop, and mentor staff.
- Coordinate and manage grant applications and administration with other City divisions and departments, governmental agencies, granting agencies and the public.
- Collaborate, promote, and maintain partnerships with local agencies and internal/external stakeholders.
- Effectively manage a portfolio of up to 70 projects in various stages of delivery.
- Ensure compliance with applicable state and federal regulations; coordinate responses to regulatory agencies and activities related to compliance.
- Organize and direct communication and presentations to City leaders, elected officials, stakeholders, and other groups.
- Prepare, analyze, and monitor budgets for the division, programs, and projects.
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information:
One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work and play.
Bachelor's degree in engineering , business or public administration or directly related field.
6 years of experience in one or more fields of Public Works, including 1 year prior as supervisor, manager or Subject Matter Expert (SME).
*Equivalency: 1 year of experience = 1 year of education
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Valid Washington State driver's license at time of appointment with maintenance thereafter, or evidence of equivalent mobility.
2+ Years of project management experience
Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA) Certification
Knowledge & Skills
- Project management and engineering.
- State and federal environmental and grant funding regulations.
- Asset management strategies and implementation.
- Compiling and analyzing statistical and technical information.
- Managing staff and programs, including developing and implementing workgroup policies, workload projections, and assignments.
- Coordinate communications and projects with other City departments, governmental and private agencies, consultants, and the public.
- Presentations to elected officials, stakeholders and other groups, as designated
- Develop and meet schedules and timelines for yourself and assigned staff.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
With a population over 200,000, Tacoma is the second largest city in the Puget Sound region, gracing the shores of Commencement Bay. We are a diverse, progressive, international city that serves as a gateway to the Pacific Rim and the rest of the world. Named one of the most livable areas in the country by Livability.com, Tacoma and the surrounding area is a playground for outdoor and maritime enthusiasts. Our businesses are vibrant, our parks are beautiful, and our schools are exceptional.
The City of Tacoma supports a healthy work/life balance, continuing education programs, leadership pathways, wellness incentives and a total rewards benefits program. We welcome you to take a look at our website and discover how the City of Tacoma can make your next career move part of our combined destiny:
Interested individuals must complete the online application and attach a detailed resume and cover letter that includes major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position.
This is a competitive selection process. Your application will be reviewed and evaluated on the basis of education, certifications and related experience. Applicants whose qualifications most closely correspond to the City of Tacoma's needs will be eligible for further consideration. Those who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on a Referral List for review and potential interview selection. Appointment is subject to passing a pre-employment background check.
Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, or questions regarding this job announcement, call the Human Resources office at (253) 591.5400.
The City of Tacoma provides excellent medical, dental and vision plans for the whole family; paid holidays and paid leave; participation in the Tacoma Public Employees' Retirement System (alternate plan for Police/Fire); continuing education and advancement opportunities and a growing variety of City-sponsored health and wellness opportunities and incentives.
Medical Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Dental Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Vision Coverage: For eligible employees and their eligible dependents.
Paid Leave: City employees are entitled to received paid holidays, sick/vacation leave or personal time off (PTO), depending upon union affiliation and appointment type.
Insurance Plans: Employees are covered by a long-term disability plan. Short-term and expanded long-term disability insurance plans are also available to employees. The State Industrial Insurance Act also covers employees.
Deferred Compensation: Income can be set aside on a pretax basis and invested for supplementation of normal retirement income.
Retirement: All employees of the City, except members of the Police and Fire services, Tacoma Rail and certain project employees, are included in the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System. Information on the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System can be found at www.cityoftacoma.org or by calling (253) 502-8200.
Other Employment Information
Direct Deposit: Employees are paid on a bi-weekly schedule by direct deposit.
Salary Increases: Based on satisfactory job performance, the City provides for a regular progression of salary increases for most classifications according to the salary schedule.
Union Affiliation: Many job classifications are covered by union security provisions which require union membership, dues, or payment of equivalent service fees.
Note: The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous