Assistant Civil Engineer (Asst CE)
Seattle Public Utilities' (SPU) Materials Laboratory has a vacancy for an Assistant Civil Engineer who will manage materials related issues on CIP and various lesser projects across departments. As a Project Materials Engineer, this position will provide quality assurance and technical support to resident engineers on utility, structural, transportation and power generation and distribution capital improvement construction projects.
This position works out of the field lab approximately 50% of the time, and is in the office the other 50% of time. If this appeals to you, keep reading and APPLY!
About Seattle Public Utilities:
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a community-centered utility that delivers vital services to Seattle residents and businesses including drinking water, drainage and wastewater, and garbage/recycling/compost. SPU also provides drinking water for 1.5 million customers in the region. SPU's work includes system maintenance and improvements and keeping Seattle clean. Over 1,400 SPU employees work with our community to provide affordable and equitable stewardship of our water and waste resources for future generations.
For more information about Seattle Public Utilities (SPU), check out the:
- SPU Website
- SPU Workplace Expectations (Download PDF reader) (Download PDF reader)
- Strategic Business Plan
SPU commits to Our City Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity. We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities.
Why join our team?
We know work isn't only about what you do, it's also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a work life balance, including:
- Family-friendly and multicultural work environment
- Generous benefits package
- Free Orca Pass
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities
- Perform field and laboratory sampling, testing and inspection of construction materials in accordance with established standards including but not limited to AASHTO, ASTM and ACI to ensure compliance with contract plans, specifications and funding requirements of external sources.
- Perform physical testing for concrete, asphalt, soil, pipe, and epoxy anchors. Conduct special fabrication inspections and coordinate other testing and inspection services during construction.
- Perform engineering calculations, prepare test records and reports.
- Research and provide advice regarding construction materials during design and construction phase. Maintain necessary certifications and professional competencies to meet the requirements of AASHTO R18, ASTM C 1077 and the SPU Materials Laboratory Quality System Manual. Review plans and specifications and approve contractor submittals. Monitor WSDOT compliance program for Federal and State funded projects.
- Coordinate as necessary with inspectors on testing schedule, frequency and logistics. Prepare and maintain Record of Materials for capital improvement projects.
- Prepare Materials Certification and participate in project audits.
- Coordinate with designers, construction engineers, other agencies, suppliers and manufacturers on materials issues. Assist with the maintenance and calibration of field and laboratory test equipment. Recommend changes to testing procedures when appropriate.
- Participate in training of student interns and new hires.
- Prepare and/or review proposed changes to standard plans and specifications.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology; or other combinations of education and/or experience which provides preparation to do professional civil engineering work.
The Ideal Candidate Profile
- Experience working for a nationally accredited construction materials testing laboratory performing materials sampling and testing.
- Certified as nuclear gauge operator. ACI and/or WABO inspection certifications.
- Demonstrated skills providing excellent customer service, focusing on results, and taking ownership of the assigned work.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines with constantly changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to keep current with existing job-related industry standards.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with standard office software programs.
License, Certification, and Other Requirements:
- Current Washington State driver's license or obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Within 6 months of employment, must able to obtain nuclear gauge operator certification and ACI certification for Concrete Field Testing Technician Grade 1 (covered by the City).
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment.
- Field assignments may entail exposure to all types of weather, traffic, hazardous/toxic substances, and work in or near construction sites.
- May occasionally be required to lift up to 100 pounds.
- May be required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
- May be required to work nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Overnight travel may be required.
Who may apply:
- The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience. This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Recruiter Contact: For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact: Danielle Sheridan at email@example.com
The full salary range for this position is $37.98-41.06 hourly.
- The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents .
- More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
- A full City of Seattle online application
- Resume and Cover letter addressing your knowledge and experience related to this position.
Learn more about Seattle Public Utilities at www.seattle.gov/util/ and check us out on social media.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 11/28/2023 4:00 PM Pacific