Asset Strategy Analyst
Tacoma Power is looking for our next talented leader to play a critical role in our commitment to Asset Management excellence as an Asset Strategy Analyst. In this position, you will be an integral part of our growing Generation's Asset Management Team, leading the implementation, management, and maintenance of Generation's Asset Investment Portfolio (AIP). Your responsibilities will encompass developing and implementing strategies for key assets, facilitating the use of stakeholder expertise, models, and data, as well as risk and value-based decision making.
The ideal candidate will be an action-oriented problem-solver who drives engagement, instills trust, and ensures accountability through collaborative processes. This person enjoys extracting and developing big-picture ideas while being able to be detail-oriented when needed.
- Lead/Manage - Lead the implementation and day-to-day management of the asset investment portfolio planning process. Work with Generation asset owners and subject matter experts (SME) to guide potential projects through the AIP intake, prioritization, and planning process. Recommend plans that balance risk, reliability, and cost.
- Strategy Development - Support the Asset Management (AM) Manager in the development of a framework for Asset Site and Class strategies. Develop asset site and class strategies for key assets. Develop and update Generation's Asset Management Plan. Review historical spending, maintenance approaches, risk levels, and data quality. Utilize technical writing skills to document and present strategies to Generation Management and staff.
- Model Development and Implementation - Identify needs and work with SMEs/contractors to develop and implement lifecycle cost, probabilistic risk, optimization, and other applicable economic models for key Generation assets.
- Collaborate - Collaborate and partner with various Generation workgroups including Engineering, Hydro staff, Dam Safety team, and Natural Resources, towards implementing processes and tools.
- Program Improvement/Reporting - Build visualization of asset management data for consumption and decision-making. Lead or support developing and implementing presentations, SharePoint content, and other communication forms. Support the utilization of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to demonstrate program growth and value realization.
Bachelor's degree in Public or Business Administration or directly related field, such as Economics, Engineering, Finance, or Portfolio Asset Management
4 years of progressively responsible analytical and/or program coordination/management work, or linear experience in fields related to assignment.
*Equivalency: 1 year of experience = 1 year of education
Knowledge & Skills
- Continuous Learner: Enthusiasm for learning, seeking to improve and find/explore opportunities to create solutions.
- Adaptable: Effectively navigates and thrives in a dynamic, ever-changing work environment.
- Facilitation: Collaboratively lead a group of diverse stakeholders and bring people together to make decisions.
- Detail-oriented: Keen attention to detail as part of delivering work.
- Customer-focused: Ensuring that goals and work accomplish the needs and expectations of internal and external stakeholders.
- Tech Savvy: Having a strong and up-to-date knowledge of technology tools, data visualization tools, and techniques.
- Asset Management or Strategy Certification. Such as a certification from the Institute of Asset Management (IAM) or Certified Strategy Professional (CSP).
***Studies have shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet all listed qualifications. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one from a less traditional background. If you have transferable skills and experience, please tell us about them.***
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
This recruitment is being managed by Kye Merritt. If you would like to be notified of similar opportunities or stay connected with things going on at Tacoma Public Utilities and the City of Tacoma, connect with them on LinkedIn.
City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Tacoma's diversity is its greatest asset. Tacoma embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. Communities of color and immigrant communities are fundamental to Tacoma's entrepreneurial spirit, workforce, and long-term success. In Tacoma, equity and empowerment are top priorities, meaning that all Tacoma residents must have equitable opportunities to reach their full potential and share in the benefits of community progress.
One of our goals is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
The City of Tacoma is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in its workplace. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, and local laws.
Tacoma Power is an almost 100% hydroelectric, municipally-owned public power utility, located in Tacoma. We serve approximately 170,000 customers as one of the three operating divisions of Tacoma Public Utilities, alongside Tacoma Water and Tacoma Rail. As one of the most livable, walkable cities in the country, you'll find that Tacoma is a great fit for all interests with places to bike, run, hike, and explore, the perks of a big city, and the charm of a small town.
Interested individuals should apply online and attac h a detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received for interview consideration.
Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check.
Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400.
The City of Tacoma provides excellent medical, dental and vision plans for the whole family; paid holidays and paid leave; participation in the Tacoma Public Employees' Retirement System (alternate plan for Police/Fire); continuing education and advancement opportunities and a growing variety of City-sponsored health and wellness opportunities and incentives.
Medical Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Dental Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Vision Coverage: For eligible employees and their eligible dependents.
Paid Leave: City employees are entitled to received paid holidays, sick/vacation leave or personal time off (PTO), depending upon union affiliation and appointment type.
Insurance Plans: Employees are covered by a long-term disability plan. Short-term and expanded long-term disability insurance plans are also available to employees. The State Industrial Insurance Act also covers employees.
Deferred Compensation: Income can be set aside on a pretax basis and invested for supplementation of normal retirement income.
Retirement: All employees of the City, except members of the Police and Fire services, Tacoma Rail and certain project employees, are included in the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System. Information on the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System can be found at www.cityoftacoma.org or by calling (253) 502-8200.
Other Employment Information
Direct Deposit: Employees are paid on a bi-weekly schedule by direct deposit.
Salary Increases: Based on satisfactory job performance, the City provides for a regular progression of salary increases for most classifications according to the salary schedule.
Union Affiliation: Many job classifications are covered by union security provisions which require union membership, dues, or payment of equivalent service fees.
Note: The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
Closing Date/Time: 10/2/2023 5:00 PM Pacific