Administrative Specialist 3 (Temporary)
The Seattle Fire Department Fire Prevention Division (FPD) is seeking a temporary employee to backfill in our Fire Investigation/Existing Building Team Administrative Specialist 3. This position is expected to continue through October 31, 2023.
The Administrative Specialist 3 is part of a team who staffs SFD's Fire Investigation and Existing Building Compliance lines of business. This position's primary responsibility is the Fire Investigation Team. You will work closely with the Captain of the Fire Investigation Unit and the team of seven uniformed investigators. The position is also responsible for specific administrative functions outside of the Fire Investigation Unit, such as staffing the Impaired Systems program. The position reports to the Fire Prevention Business Services Team Lead.
The successful candidate will be passionate about providing outstanding customer service and producing accurate data and reports. You will perform independently with minimal supervision, be a collaborative team player, and enjoy working with all levels of the organization to support the mission and goals of the Fire Prevention Division. The successful candidate will bring transferable analytical and administrative support skills - previous experience with fire investigation or fire code compliance is not required.
- Perform administrative support activities for Fire Investigation and Existing Building Compliance programs including fire reporting, high-rise building inspections, and code enforcement compliance. Position's primary focus will be fire investigation reporting and impaired systems reporting.
- Utilize several databases to maintain accurate records.
- Produce reports and other summary statistics, using Excel and/or stand-alone applications. Perform weekly and quarterly reporting.
- Interpret and apply specific policies and procedures to make reliable decisions and resolve questions from the public and other fire agencies. Requires independent judgement in determining facts and applying correct guidelines and regulations.
- Provide high-quality customer service by email and over the phone. Perform research and provide solutions or explanation to customers' questions, complaints, and issues.
- Maintain training manuals and procedural documentation.
- Assist with special projects such as creation of fillable pdf forms and manage mass mailings using MS Word's mail merge functionality.
- Order supplies, manage calendars, coordinate IT service requests, and vehicles.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requires three years of clerical support experience (or a combination of education, training and/or experience which provides evidence of the equivalent).
Additionally, a successful applicant will possess the following skills, experience and abilities:
- Good judgment and discretion regarding confidential information.
- Excellent attention to detail; ability to write clearly and review your own work for quality, completeness, and adherence to procedures.
- Experience using a database to accurately create and maintain records and run reports or retrieve information.
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite (or similar software) including Excel to record, extract and/or analyze data, and Word to create publication-ready, professionally formatted documents.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse environment; on a team; and independently.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality customer service.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Strong communication skills, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to learn/use Adobe software for reporting.
- Ability to maintain regular and reliable attendance, and to perform essential work onsite on a schedule that aligns with Fire Prevention Division regular business hours (8am-4:30pm). Some remote work and a hybrid schedule may be possible.
- Ability to lift to 30 pounds.
Initial selection steps for this position will include: 1. an oral interview (50%), 2. skills test including Excel and Word (40%), 3. evaluation of presented written materials: application, resume and cover letter (10%).This position requires passing a background check, including CJIS Level 2 Security Awareness Certification.
The full salary range for this position is $30.09 - $33.78 per hour.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and covered family-members/most employees-plans
The Seattle Fire Department is looking to create a diverse team of hardworking, committed individuals with a passion for public service and who are deeply aligned with our City's values of Race and Social Justice. The City of Seattle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, political ideology, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, and local laws.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/5/2023 4:00 PM Pacific